PARENT NOTE – January 28, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Monday of last week is determined to be the most depressing day of the year – so during our announcement times we thought about joy. Sometimes, events in a child’s life can overwhelm them and we know that this can absolutely affect their learning. This year, we have been intentional in meeting some of those needs by offering sensory supports in our classrooms. This could mean sitting in a different place for a few minutes, focusing on a calming activity or simply letting a teacher know that a student is struggling. I am glad for the way our teachers and students have embraced these opportunities. By addressing them in the classroom, students do not miss valuable instructional time. HCS has been blessed by a generous donation to make some of these options possible.
In addition to these supports, our counselor, Colleen Jackson, is offering a Grief Group for students who have experienced loss in their lives. Here is the description:
This group will provide an opportunity for students who have experienced loss to process and heal together. One of the benefits of a group like this is that it provides a sense of community support as participants come to see that they are not alone in what they have experienced since their loss. This group will incorporate art projects, verbal processing in small and big groups, and space for individual processing through journaling and drawing. The goal is to create a safe environment for children to heal. It is very important that everyone’s comfort and engagement level is respected. No one will be forced to participate when they are not ready but will still be welcome to be present in the group.
The group/s will meet over the lunch and recess hour on Tuesdays. If you are interested in having your child/ren participate, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WEATHER RELATED ISSUES: I think we have at least one difficult weather day ahead of us this week. We will continue to use our email blast system, emergencyclosings.com and our website to inform you of changes. Thank you for your understanding and please know that our goal is always to have a full day of school whenever possible. One more thing – our ELearning Day seemed to go well on Friday but just as a reminder it’s best to start a new message when contacting the teacher rather than hitting reply.
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2019/2020 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2019/2020 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 13. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
3. Clothing Drive for etc. Help support etc… thrift store by bringing bags of clothing to HCS.
• Who: all students
• When: January 16-February 6
• Where: HCS
• How: Label your bag with your child’s homeroom and bring the clothes to the classroom.
Leadership students will collect the bags and weigh them and a there will be a PRIZE given for the class with the greatest amount (weight) of clothing.
1. Tuesday, January 29 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, January 31 – 8th girls & boys vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
1. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Jan. 28): Landry’s Rest. – 9%; Shutterfly – 10%; TGI Fridays – 9%.
2. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates: AMC Movie Theatre – 9% and Papa John’s Pizza – 9%;
3. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due this Thursday, January 31st by 10 a.m.
4. Team A (Julie Sitter, Lupe Morales, Cheryl Filler, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues. Jan. 29th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tues. in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Feb. 5; Team C – Feb. 12; Team D – Feb. 19; Team A – Feb. 26. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Thurs., Feb. 21st from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. Illiana Christian High School is planning a three-week summer camp opportunity called “Viking Academy”. Viking Academy will consist of six sessions – mornings and afternoons for the weeks of July 8-12, July 15-19 and July 22-26. Families can choose to register their child for camps during any or all of these six sessions. Viking Academy is open to all students from Illiana’s feeder schools or the surrounding community. The schedule of camps is still being developed, but current camp offerings include STEM, Introduction to Sewing, Spanish, “Explore Service” and a variety of sports camps.
2. Information on Highland Girls Softball is available in the HCS office.