PARENT NOTE – January 22, 2019
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Well here we are, the beginning of 3rd Quarter – which unfortunately coincides with our coldest weather, short days and few breaks – but teachers are eager to keep working with your children to master the learning standards for their grades. This year, K-2 and Art, Music, and PE classes all report progress on the standards on report cards – giving you, as parents, much more helpful information on your child/ren. At the end of last year we provided standards-based grades for all K-8 students and we will do that again this year as part of our transition to this kind of reporting. It is meeting these standards that will show you your child’s level of preparation for their next grade level. The academic progress we have made at HCS is a result of focusing on standards, or clear learning targets.
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2019/2020 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2019/2020 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 13. If you have a kindergarten child for next year, you may register online at www.highlandchristian.org or contact the school office. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
3. Clothing Drive for etc. Help support etc… thrift store by bringing bags of clothing to HCS.
• Who: all students
• When: January 16-February 6
• Where: HCS
• How: Label your bag with your child’s homeroom and bring the clothes to the classroom.
Leadership students will collect the bags and weigh them and a there will be a PRIZE given for the class with the greatest amount (weight) of clothing.
1. Attention All Parents: There are additional 20% off discount cards located in the office. These are good through the end of school year!
2. Parents of Second Graders! It’s time for the Second Grade Sort Night this evening, January 22, from 6-8 pm. Please consider helping etc by volunteering a few hours of your time!
1. Thursday, Jan. 24 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. This is the last week to place a TRIP order for tuition credit on your February bill.
2. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due this Thursday, January 24 by 10 a.m.
3. Team D (Shelly Witham, Amy Yonkman, Linda Balkema) will be putting the TRIP orders together today. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up today in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
4. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Jan. 29; Team B – Feb. 5; Team C – Feb. 12; Team D – Feb. 19. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is Thursday, Feb. 21 from 8:15 – 9 a.m.
1. Information on the Highland Learn to Swim Program is available in the HCS office.
2. Illiana Christian High School is planning a three-week summer camp opportunity called “Viking Academy”. Viking Academy will consist of six sessions – mornings and afternoons for the weeks of July 8-12, July 15-19 and July 22-26. Families can choose to register their child for camps during any or all of these six sessions. Viking Academy is open to all students from Illiana’s feeder schools or the surrounding community. The schedule of camps is still being developed, but current camp offerings include STEM, Introduction to Sewing, Spanish, “Explore Service” and a variety of sports camps.