PARENT NOTE – December 3, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This feels like an unusual year with four full weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but we are grateful for these uninterrupted weeks. Uninterrupted by school activities, that is – but we know it is a busy time for families. I thank you for your support of learning – you, too, are an important part of the academic growth we have experienced here at Highland. I appreciate, particularly, your support for homework. Homework is work that supports the learning that your children need to be successful at their grade level. Gone are the days when no homework simply resulted in an ‘F’ in the grade book. Homework will be done. Here’s the parallel: if you instructed your son or daughter to clean their room and they didn’t do it – you wouldn’t say: “That’s it – you failed to do what I asked you to do – so just forget about it!” You would say something along the lines of: “I expect you to clean your room.” Having homework done is a large part of being prepared and prepared is one of the four habits we stress for our students: Prepared, Responsible, Engaged and Aware.
Pickup and drop off reminders: No cell phone use while driving on school property – except for the following parents: … for those of you who expected to see your name here – sorry. If you need to come in with your child in the morning, it is safer to park in the lot to the east of the school – not in the diagonal spots along the driveway.
1. This Wednesday, Dec. 5 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00 a.m.
2. Parents of Bus Students: This Friday afternoon, December 7th, we will use the five route system – afternoon routes only.
3. This Friday, Dec. 7 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
1. Tuesday, Dec. 4 – 6th & 7th boys vs. Lansing – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
Wednesday, Dec. 5 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Dec. 6 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
8th girls & boys vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00
Friday, Dec. 7 – 8th girls vs. Lansing – AWAY – 5:00
Saturday, Dec. 8 – 6th Boys Basketball Tournament at HCS – times TBA
Monday, Dec. 10 – 6th & 7th boys vs. Calvary – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
1. Countdown to Christmas for TRIP orders (physical cards): Dec. 6 &13! Shopwithscrip families can order online 24/7 using the PrestoPay option. Need more information? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Stores: Thurs., Dec. 13 and 20.
3. New additions to TRIP: AMC Movie Theatres $50 – 7%; Buona Beef Rest. $10 – 7%; Oberweis $10 – 7%; Bed, Bath & Beyond $100 – 6%.
4. Current Week’s Bonus Rebates (12/3/18): AMC Movie Theatres – 11%; American Eagle – 11%; Applebee’s – 10%; Barnes & Noble – 12%; Bass Pro Shops & Cabela’s – 11%; Build A Bear – 9%; Catherine’s/Lane Bryant – 9%; Express – 12%; The Home Depot – 7%; Jiffy Lube – 10%; Landry’s – 11%; Lowe’s – 6%; Bob Evans – 12%; Carters/Osh Kosh – 11%; Papa John’s – 10%; Starbucks – 8%; Shutterfly – 11%; Cold Stone Creamery – 26%.
5. TRIP Orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thurs., Dec. 6th by 10 a.m.
6. Team D (Shelly Witham, Amy Yonkman, Linda Balkema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Dec. 4th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Dec. 11; Team B – Dec. 18; Team C – Jan. 15; Team D – Jan 22.
1. Life Happens Laugh Anyway!! Come for a night of LAUGHS at Crossroads Community Church, Schererville, IN. Featuring the very funny, Christian Comedian, Tracy DeGraaf on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 7:00 p.m. For more information or to purchase tickets go to aboutccc.com.
2. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – This Thursday, December 6th at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. There will be crafts, games, facepainting, pizza, cookie decorating, and stories. The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of hygiene items, gloves (any size) or hearty soups.