PARENT NOTE – November 26, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Parents and Guardians,
Well we dodged that storm today! Things looked much different here in Highland than what I saw when I left my house in Orland Park! As a reminder, if school is closed, you will find notification three main ways:
1) Go to emergencyclosings.com and scroll down to see if Highland Christian is listed;
2) If you receive notifications about every Late Start Day – you will receive a notification about canceled school
the same way. If you don’t receive those notifications, please contact Jodi Lineburg at ext.165;
3) School website.
In the event of a canceled day, we will have an eLearning Day. We received some good feedback from you about our practice eLearning Day which will hopefully improve our eLearning experience. As expected, we had a great Thanksgiving chapel on Friday. It was wonderful to hear of the important work that Roseland Christian Ministries is doing and for our students to know that they have a part in that work.
1. HCS sends a tremendous and heartfelt thank you to all who brought in food and toiletries for Roseland Christian Ministries. We packed over 165 meals for those in need with lots left over for the food bank!! Many families and lives were blessed through your generosity. Once again, the Highland Christian Community was able to shine God’s love and run the race for Jesus! Thank you for thinking of others this Thanksgiving season.
2. Friday, Dec. 7 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
3. Highland Christian School is looking for coaches for both Girls on the Run and to launch a boys running club for grades 3-5 this spring. There will be a call-out meeting for those interested in coaching on Thursday, November 29 at 3:30 in the library. If you are interested and can’t attend, please contact Bridget DeYoung at email@example.com for more information.
1. Tuesday, Nov. 27 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Nov. 29 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. Countdown to Christmas for TRIP orders (physical cards): Nov. 29, Dec. 6 &13! Shopwithscrip families can order online 24/7 using the PrestoPay option. Need more information? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Stores: Thurs., Dec. 13 and 20.
3. New additions to TRIP: Vera Bradley $50 – 6% and Wayfair $100 – 5%.
4. Current Week’s Bonus Rebates (11/26/18): Bob Evans – 12%; Carters/Osh Kosh – 11%; Papa John’s – 10%; Starbucks – 8%; Shutterfly – 11%; Cold Stone Creamery – 26%.
5. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates (12/3/18): AMC Movie Theatres – 11%; Applebee’s – 10%; Barnes & Noble – 12%; Bass Pro Shops & Cabela’s – 11%; Build A Bear – 9%; Catherine’s/Lane Bryant – 9%; Express – 12%; The Home Depot – 7%; Jiffy Lube – 10%; Landry’s – 11%; Lowe’s – 6%.
6. TRIP Orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thurs., Nov. 29th by 10 a.m.
7. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, Laura McDonald, April Vander Meyden, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 27th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
8. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Dec. 4; Team A – Dec. 11; Team B – Dec. 18; Team C – Jan. 15.
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian has to offer at Preview Illiana this Thursday, November 29 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, attend informative sessions, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Director of Admissions, Marie Limback, at 219-558-7066 ext. 49 for more information.
2. Life Happens Laugh Anyway!! Come for a night of LAUGHS at Crossroads Community Church, Schererville, IN. Featuring the very funny, Christian Comedian, Tracy DeGraaf on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 7:00 p.m. For more information or to purchase tickets go to aboutccc.com.
3. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – Thursday, December 6th at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. There will be crafts, games, facepainting, pizza, cookie decorating, and stories. The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of hygiene items, gloves (any size) or hearty soups.
4. MOPS of Crossroads Community Church, 1538 Janice Dr., Schererville is having a Craft Fair this Thursday, Nov. 29 from 5-9 p.m. There will be over 50 vendors, food, raffles and more – get a head start on your Christmas shopping!