PARENT NOTE – November 19, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Parents and Guardians,
I hope you got a good report from your children about our celebration on Friday! It was great to reward the students for their hard work. It was the work of the teachers and the students – focusing on standards, assessment, and additional support that made the difference – and will continue to be the way we do things at Highland Christian! And if last week wasn’t exciting enough – this week will be even better! This is the week that the students will get to express Christ-like generosity as they present a check for $6,000.00 to another organization! But it gets even better – our jogathon was billed as “Give One – Get One.” Because of their efforts – and your support – it has turned into a “Give Two – Get One” event. Our gaga ball pit will cost $6,000.00 and because the students raised $18,000.00 we will soon be announcing a second gift. I hope that our students will remember this as a turning point in their lives when they see the joy that they can give others.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you – and thanks for partnering with us to ensure that at HCS all students will be academically equipped, biblically grounded, and spiritually nurtured to impact the world for Christ.
1. Thanksgiving Break: School will dismiss at 1:45 this Wednesday and there is no school Thursday & Friday, Nov. 22 & 23. Aftercare will be provided this Wednesday. We pray that our HCS families have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!
2. Thank you to all the students who brought in food and toiletries for Roseland Christian Ministries. What a wonderful way for us to share our blessings and our love with those in need! We could still use more food and toiletries – contributions may be sent in through tomorrow. Here is the list of items we are collecting:
box of stuffing box of mashed potatoes
cranberry sauce cake or brownie mix
2 boxes of mac and cheese toothpaste
can of gravy soap
can of green beans deodorant
can of corn shampoo
canned sweet potatoes tissues
3. Parents and grandparents are invited to our Thanksgiving Chapel this Wednesday, November 21, beginning at 8:40 a.m. Please join us as we give thanks to God and present our gifts to representatives from Roseland Christian Ministries.
4. Parents: The Highland Christian School Hot Lunch Program provides an excellent service to our students. Some students, however, do not participate because they are eating a gluten-free diet. If you would be interested in gluten-free options for your child, and would be willing to incur additional costs, please e-mail Bob Payne at email@example.com.
1. Tuesday, Nov. 20 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Crown Point – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. TRIP Orders are due (paper and online orders) this Wed., Nov. 21st by 10 a.m.
2. Thank-Scrip-ing Day is tomorrow, Nov. 20th for all of our shopwithscrip.com families! Check out all the extra bonus rebates available. Need more information? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. New additions to TRIP: Vera Bradley $50 – 6% and Wayfair $100 – 5%.
4. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Stores: Thurs., Dec. 13 and 20 from, 8:15 to 9 a.m.
5. Current Week’s Bonus Rebates (11/19/18): Shutterfly – 11%; Cold Stone Creamery – 25%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%.
6. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates (11/26/18): Bob Evans – 11%; Carters/Osh Kosh – 10%; Papa John’s Pizza – 9%.
7. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Liz St. George) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 20th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
8. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Nov. 27; Team D – Dec. 4; Team A – Dec. 11; Team B – Dec. 18.
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian has to offer at Preview Illiana on Thursday, November 29 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, attend informative sessions, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Director of Admissions, Marie Limback, at 219-558-7066 ext. 49 for more information.
2. Life Happens Laugh Anyway!! Come for a night of LAUGHS at Crossroads Community Church, Schererville, IN. Featuring the very funny, Christian Comedian, Tracy DeGraaf on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 7:00 p.m. For more information or to purchase tickets go to aboutccc.com.
3. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – Thursday, December 6th at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. and grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. There will be crafts, games, facepainting, pizza, cookie decorating, and stories. The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of hygiene items, gloves (any size) or hearty soups.
4. MOPS of Crossroads Community Church, 1538 Janice Dr., Schererville is having a Craft Fair on Nov. 29 from 5-9 p.m. There will be over 50 vendors, food, raffles and more – get a head start on your Christmas shopping!