PARENT NOTE – November 5, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Parents and Guardians,
We are looking forward to the opportunity to meet with you this week and discuss your child’s experience at Highland Christian. We are eager to talk about your child’s progress on the Learning Standards (Power Standards) that we shared with you at Back-to-School night. We will also look at the results of the fall MAP testing which provides great additional information. For me, the best part of these conferences is the relationship building as we get to know each other – and affirm our commitment to student learning.
Last year, we began having students in Grades 3 – 8 lead the conferences. Listening to students share what is working and what isn’t is a powerful way to engage them in their own learning. Please note, if there is an issue that you wanted to discuss without the student present, feel free to excuse them for a few minutes.
1. This Wednesday, Nov. 7 is a late start day. School will begin at 10:00 a.m.
2. Parent/Teacher Conferences are this Thursday, Nov. 8. Schedules for the conferences were sent home with K-5 students last week. If you cannot make your scheduled time, please contact your child’s teacher. Students in grades 3-8 should attend the conference with their parents.
3. Important Reminder: School will dismiss this Thursday at 1:45 and there is no school on Friday. Please note – there is no aftercare this Thursday.
4. Lost & Found: A lost & found table will be set up in the hall by the teachers’ lounge during conferences. Please check it out – you just might find some of your child’s items there! All items left after conferences will be given to etc…Thrift Store.
5. Tomorrow, Nov. 6 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
6. The Thanksgiving season gives us the opportunity to show our thankfulness to God by sharing with others in need. For Thanksgiving this year, we will be collecting food and toiletries for Roseland Christian Ministries in Roseland, IL. These gifts will be presented at our Thanksgiving chapel on Wed., Nov. 21. A list of needed items is on the Thanksgiving letter that will be sent home today. All donations will be collected in the students’ classrooms. We will begin collecting items the week of November 12.
7. Homemade vanilla ($2.00 for an 8oz. bottle) is for sale in the HCS office for all of your holiday baking.
8. HCS has an immediate staff opening for our Hot Lunch Program. The hours are 10:30 am to 2:00 pm on school days. If you are interested in this position, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Tuesday, Nov. 7 – 6th & 7th boys basketball vs. Calvary Academy – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Monday, Nov. 12 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys basketball vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. There is another Thank-Scrip-ing Day for all of our shopwithscrip.com families coming up on Tues., Nov. 20th. Bonus rebates are only available for online orders. Order your reloadable gift cards on this week’s TRIP order so you can take advantage of the extra bonus rebates for Reloads on the 20th. Need more information? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com.
2. The TRIP office has bought some of the Bonus Fest gift cards at special rebates for the next Cash & Carry Gift Card Store on Nov. 15th. Check the Parent Note on Mon., Nov. 12 for a list of cards available to purchase through the store.
3. Current week’s Bonus Rebates (11/5/18): Applebee’s – 12%; Potbelly – 9%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%; Barnes & Noble – 12%.
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thursday, Nov. 8th by 10:00 a.m.
5. Team D (Shelly Witham, Amy Yonkman, Linda Balkema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 6th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Nov. 13; Team B – Nov. 20; Team C – Nov. 27; Team D – Dec. 4. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Store will be Thurs., Nov. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian has to offer at Preview Illiana on Thursday, November 29 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, attend informative sessions, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Director of Admissions, Marie Limback, at 219-558-7066 ext. 49 for more information.
2. Tonight! Come to Beacon Light Community Church (3770 Burr St., Gary) for a Mexican Fiesta! Hours are 4:30-6:30 and donations will go towards their new Building Fund.