PARENT NOTE – October 29, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to Second Quarter! I told the students this morning that this is a great quarter to make progress in before we meet the challenges of Third Quarter – cold, dreary days with summer a long way off can make it challenging for students to do their best. But I am very pleased with the progress our students have made so far this year as evidenced by the grades I am seeing. Please understand that grades are not an end in themselves but are reflective of the learning that is happening as students master the standards for their grades.
Speaking of standards, you have probably heard of Standards-Based Grading. We had a successful roll-out in Kindergarten, Art, Music and PE last year. This year, as you know, we are reporting student progress using standards in First and Second Grades as well. Report cards will be available to you in onCampus on Saturday and Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences will take place on November 8.
Two things to note about conferences:
1. Students in grades 3 – 8 should attend the conference. We have found that this is a very positive step toward students taking ownership of their learning. If there are issues that you need to discuss with the teacher, the student could be excused for that portion of the conference.
2. Parents of Junior High Students: In order to prevent some of the long waits we experienced last year, you will have the opportunity to sign up on-line with your child’s homeroom teacher. Watch for an e-mail from the homeroom teacher directing you to sign up on Sign Me Up Genius. If you need to speak with a teacher other than the homeroom teacher, you will be able to sign up when you arrive on Nov. 8.
So we have our first eLearning Day behind us! It appeared to go well from my perspective, but I know that there are always adjustments needed in terms of amount of work, access to technology, directions and more. Please let your child’s teacher know how it went so we can ensure a positive experience for our students.
One more thing – this week you will receive a School Climate Survey from us. This is part of the work of our School Improvement Team. We know that school climate – relationships, feelings of belonging, feelings of safety – have an impact on student learning. We want to hear from you about areas where we are doing well and areas where we can improve. The survey will be open for one week, and should take about 15 minutes to complete. We value your input as we work to improve the students’ experience at HCS.
1. Picture Retake Day is scheduled for next Monday, Nov. 5. If your children need retakes, please send the original pictures back with them on that day. If your children were absent on the original picture day, please have them pick up an order form from the HCS office and send it to school with them on Nov. 5.
2. Parent/Teacher Conferences are next Thursday, Nov. 8. Schedules for the conferences are being sent home with K-5 students today. If you cannot make your scheduled time, please contact your child’s teacher.
3. Next Tuesday, Nov. 6 is HCS Preview Day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School.
1. The 5th grade sort night at etc is TOMORROW, October 30th, from 6-8pm at etc. Both parents and students are welcome to help us sort!
1. Tuesday, Oct. 30 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys basketball vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Nov. 1 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys basketball vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
2. HCS is currently looking for a junior high cheerleading coach. The season runs from December through the end of February. If you are interested in coaching, or know of someone who is, please contact Neil Krooswyk at 838-0356 ext. 164.
1. The TRIP office has bought some of the Bonus Fest gift cards at special rebates for the next Cash & Carry Gift Card Store on Nov. 15th. Check the Parent Note on Mon., Nov. 12 for a list of cards available to purchase through the store.
2. Shopwithscrip.com BONUS FEST is still going on today and tomorrow for all of our shopwithscrip.com families. Check out the 24 hour bonuses from different retailers. Not signed up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email TRIP at firstname.lastname@example.org and a volunteer will get back to you.
3. Current week’s Bonus Rebates (10/29/18): Barnes & Noble – 12%; Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; JCPenney – 5%.
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thursday, Nov. 1st by 10:00 a.m.
5. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 30th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Nov. 6; Team A – Nov. 13; Team B – Nov. 20; Team C – Nov. 27. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Store will be Thurs., Nov. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. Ladies…we have an event planned just for you!! You are invited to our Second Annual Women’s Gathering on Saturday, November 17 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm at Crossroads Community Church, 1538 Janice Drive, Schererville, IN. Join us for a time to be filled…both spiritually and physically…as it will include worship to our amazing God, fellowship with women we love and…of course…great food! This year we will have select vendors for you to do some shopping and are offering childcare if needed. We are asking that you register for this event. If you plan on taking advantage of the child care please let us know how many children and their ages. Also please pack a snack or lunch with the child’s name on it…they will be well taken care of!! Doors open at 10:30 and deadline to register is Friday, November 2. For more information or to register please email email@example.com or you can register through facebook by going to “Second Annual Women’s Gathering”. Can’t wait to see what He has planned for us!!
2. New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) will be hosting Trunk or Treat this Wednesday, Oct. 31 from 5-7 pm. This is a safe and fun alternative to trick or treating! We will have decorated cars with trunks of candy and treats along with a refreshment table! Don’t forget your costumes!