PARENT NOTE – October 22, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
As we have been telling you, Wednesday will be Highland Christian School’s first eLearning Day! Who would have thought that we would have students telecommuting! To be clear, this plan is in effect to provide for continued instruction on days that would have been lost due to weather or other emergencies. The reason we are having a planned eLearning Day on Wednesday is so that we all have experience with the process before we need to implement it. Here are the three details you need to know:
1. Teachers will send you the work for the day in the same way that they communicate with you each Monday. If your child has Art, Music or PE scheduled that day – you will receive a separate communication from that teacher.
2. Teachers will be available by e-mail or through onCampus from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm. Our goal is to respond promptly, but please understand many of the teachers will be en route to the CEA Convention on Wednesday but they will get back to you as soon as possible.
3. Typically, students have 72 hours to complete eLearning assignments. This situation is a bit different in that there are actually many more hours than that before we return to school on Monday, October 29th. However, in the event that your child needs some help from their teacher in person, they will have until Tuesday, October 30th to complete the assignments.
This will be a learning experience for all of us and I look forward to hearing how it went!
On another note, this will be my last year at Highland Christian School. I have thoroughly enjoyed my four years with you and I believe that the practices we have put in place to make this school a Professional Learning Community are firmly established. I am particularly pleased with the increased integration of technology and the adoption of Project Lead the Way engineering classes for our students. While I can’t tell you specifics yet, you will soon be very happy to hear of our students’ progress on the state testing program. I will work hard to ensure a smooth transition in preparation for Highland Christian’s next school leader.
1. Reminder: eLearning Day is this Wednesday, Oct. 24 and the students will work from home on that day and there is no school this Thursday and Friday, Oct. 25 & 26.
2. Picture re-take day is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 5. More information will be sent home next week.
3. Parent/Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 8 from 2:00-4:30 and again from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Specific times are being scheduled for grades K-5. The Parent Teacher Conference Sign-Up Form was sent home with all K-5 students last week. Please fill out this form to let us know if you need a time slot before the supper break or after the supper break. If we do not receive a form back from you, we will assume any time is okay. If you only have a junior high student, you do not have to fill out this form. More information will be sent home next week regarding the junior high conference schedule. If you cannot make a Thursday conference, please contact your child’s teacher to schedule one on a different day. Please return this form to the office by tomorrow, Oct. 23.
1. HCS is currently looking for a junior high cheerleading coach. The season runs from December through the end of February. If you are interested in coaching, or know of someone who is, please contact Neil Krooswyk at 838-0356 ext. 164.
1. BONUS FEST BEGINS October 24th through the 30th for all of our shopwithscrip.com families. Check every day for bonus rebates from different retailers. These bonuses, once posted, are good for 24hours! Not signed up for online ordering? Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email TRIP at email@example.com and a volunteer will get back to you.
2. Speedway gift cards are now available in a $50 denomination.
3. Current week’s Bonus Rebates (10/22/18): Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; JCPenney – 5%; Jewel – 5%.
4. Next week’s Bonus Rebates (10/29/18): Barnes & Nobles – 12%.
5. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) this TUESDAY, Oct. 23 by 10:00 a.m.
6. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Liz St. George) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 23rd. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Oct. 30; Team D – Nov. 6; Team A – Nov. 13; Team B – Nov. 20. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Store will be Thurs., Nov. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. Ladies…we have an event planned just for you!! You are invited to our Second Annual Women’s Gathering on Saturday, November 17 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm at Crossroads Community Church, 1538 Janice Drive, Schererville, IN. Join us for a time to be filled…both spiritually and physically…as it will include worship to our amazing God, fellowship with women we love and…of course…great food! This year we will have select vendors for you to do some shopping and are offering childcare if needed. We are asking that you register for this event. If you plan on taking advantage of the child care please let us know how many children and their ages. Also please pack a snack or lunch with the child’s name on it…they will be well taken care of!! Doors open at 10:30 and deadline to register is Friday, November 2. For more information or to register please email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can register through facebook by going to “Second Annual Women’s Gathering”. Can’t wait to see what He has planned for us!!
2. New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) will be hosting Trunk or Treat on Wednesday, October 31 from 5-7 pm. This is a safe and fun alternative to trick or treating! We will have decorated cars with trunks of candy and treats along with a refreshment table! Don’t forget your costumes!
3. It’s time for Indoor Soccer! Illiana Futbol Club (IFC) registration is open for fall and winter sessions. First practice is Oct. 22, so register now to be placed on a team for Session One. Practice and games take place at Dyer Indoor Soccer Arena. Teams are available for kids 6 years old thru high school. Tryouts for Spring 2019 Outdoor will take place at the end of November -see www.illianafutbolclub.org for more info and to register.