PARENT NOTE – October 8, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Welcome to eLearning! Highland Christian School has been approved to offer eLearning when the school needs to close for reasons such as weather issues. In order to prepare for eLearning, we are going to have a scheduled eLearning Day on Wednesday, October 24th. There will be no school on campus that day. Our goal is to have our first eLearning Day when we can prepare for it – not distracted by uncertainty about weather, buses, transportation and so on.
Here is what you need to know:
1. Work will be communicated to you through our onCampus system by 9:00 am.
2. The work will be a mixture of electronic and print activities. The goal of the teacher will be to provide activities that as closely as possible reflect the learning goals for that day.
3. You will have 72 hours to complete the work. For the October 24th eLearning Day you will have until school resumes the following Monday. Your child will need computer access for part of the work which is why you have the three days to complete it.
4. Teachers will be available by regular e-mail and the onCampus system from 9:00 am until 7:00 pm to answer questions.
We will communicate further the week of October 22nd. I’m sure we’ll find some kinks to work out, but if this system works we will not need to impact the schedule with make-up days going forward.
1. This Friday, Oct. 12 is Grandparents’ Day at HCS! If your child’s grandparents did not receive an invitation, please extend one to them. Please make sure the grandparents know who their grandchildren’s teachers are. Doors open at 10:00 and lunch will be served starting at 10:30.
Important Parent Information for Grandparents’ Day, Oct. 12:
• There is a 1:45 dismissal on that day. If you are picking up your child via the pick-up line, please come at 2:00. This allows for grandparents to leave safely.
• If your child is going home with a grandparent, please notify the teacher and bus driver by Thurs. Oct. 11.
• K-5 students should dress as if they are going to run a race.
• There is no aftercare on Grandparents’ Day.
• There is no hot lunch on this day – students should bring their lunch from home.
2. Parent Performance of the K-5 Grandparents’ Day program is next Monday, Oct. 15 beginning at 7:00 p.m. All HCS families are invited! Students should dress as if they are going to run a race and be in their classrooms by 6:45 p.m. Please note – this is a required performance for all K-5 students.
Tuesday, Oct. 9 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Lansing – AWAY – 4:15 & 5:15
A soccer vs. Lansing – AWAY – 4:15
Wednesday, Oct. 10 – Illiana Invitational Cross Country Meet @ Heritage PR School – 4:15 start
Thursday, Oct. 11 – A soccer vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:15 start
Friday, Oct. 12 – 8th Grade Volleyball Tournament at Illiana – 5:00 start
Saturday, Oct. 13 – 7th Grade Volleyball Tournament at Illiana – 9:00 start
A Soccer Tournament – time and location TBA
1. Wendy’s gift cards percentage has increased to 6% starting immediately.
2. Whether you are buying gifts or doing your own personal shopping, using gift cards to pay for your purchases will help lower your tuition bill! Sign up for TRIP today and start earning tuition credit by buying physical gift cards or use your smartphone for buying online gift cards through the shopwithscrip.com website! Either way your rebates will help offset your tuition bill. For more information pick up a TRIP Information packet at the TRIP office, call TRIP at 219-838-0356 or email TRIP at email@example.com .
3. Current week’s Bonus Rebates (10/8/18): Bath & Body Works – 16%; TGI Fridays – 9%; Domino’s – 11%;
Hallmark – 5%; L.L. Bean – 16%.
4. Next week’s Bonus Rebates (10/15/18): Jewel – 5%.
5. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thurs., Oct. 11th by 10:00 a.m.
6. Team D (Shelly Witham, Linda Balkema, Amy Yonkman) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 9th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Oct. 16; Team B – Oct 23; Team C – Oct. 30; Team D – Nov. 6. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Store will be Thurs., Oct. 18th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. The Second Annual Mommy’s Haven Superhero Event sponsored by Pathway Church will be held this Saturday, October 13 from 11:00 am. – 3:00 pm. at Crown Point Christian School, 10550 Park Place, St. John, IN (in the gates of St. John Subdivision). This action packed day will include lunch, superheroes, games and activities, Culver’s, Chick-fil-A, Hometown Heroes K-9 Unit and more! Child tickets (over 2 years) are $15 each which includes lunch and all listed activities; adult tickets are $5 each which includes lunch. All ages are welcome and costumes are encouraged! Tickets are on sale at mommyshaven.org.
2. New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) will be hosting a Cadet Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, October 20th from 7-10 am. What better way to start off a fall weekend than by satisfying your appetite with hot fluffy pancakes and sausage while supporting the New Life Cadet Club! Donations for the Club will be gladly accepted at the door.
3. New Life CRC (3010 Ridge Road, Highland, IN) will be hosting Trunk or Treat on Wednesday, October 31 from 5-7 pm. This is a safe and fun alternative to trick or treating! We will have decorated cars with trunks of candy and treats along with a refreshment table! Don’t forget your costumes!