PARENT NOTE – September 24, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
It’s hard to believe that this is the last week of September and that the quarter is half over. Here are some of the things that I am excited about so far this year:
• The lunch schedule has been worked out so that the groups that need recess before lunch get what they need and the groups that need lunch before recess get what they need;
• This is our second year of offering two years of Spanish and we have a full Junior High First Year Spanish class. Students who complete both years will have a jump on high school and will begin their freshman year with High School Spanish II;
• This is our first year offering concentrated keyboarding and technology skills to 6th Graders. I am already seeing improved skills as they use their devices;
• Our After School Program is benefiting from additional programming;
• HCS is now approved to offer eLearning Days in the event that we were closed for something like severe weather. I will be providing more information in the weeks ahead, but please note that we will have our first eLearning Day on Wednesday, October 24th so there will be no classes that day. This is the day before our two day CEA Convention;
• Our Hebrews 12:1 theme verse is providing great metaphors for our learning.
I hope that this school year is off to a good start for you and your families as well!
1. See You at the Pole: This Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 7:45 a.m. we are gathering around the HCS flagpole to pray for our nation, school, friends, and family. Everyone is invited to come and pray with us!
2. Muffins for Misses is also this Wednesday, September 26th from 7:30-8:30 a.m. All Huskies may bring a special lady whether it’s a mom, aunt, grandma, family friend or neighbor for muffins, coffee, fellowship and fun. Go to the gym for a muffin at 7:30 and then join us in prayer at the flagpole at 7:45 – or – join us in prayer and then head to the gym for a muffin! Please note that students will not be allowed in their classrooms before 8:10 a.m.
3. Don’t forget to order your apple slices! They come ready-to-bake or are able to be frozen. Apple Slices are sold in an 8×12 pan and cost $10.00. Orders will be taken through Oct. 5 and pick-up times will be scheduled. Pick-up options are Tuesday, Oct. 9 from 5-7 p.m. or Wednesday, Oct. 10 from 12-4 p.m. Order forms were sent home with the students last week, or you may order online https://www.highlandchristian.org/2018/09/17/hcs-apple-slices-back/
4. Highland Christian School has openings for substitute teachers and substitute before and after school staff. Please send a resume and letter of interest to Principal Bob Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org
SGO TAX CREDIT SCHOLARSHIP NEWS
1. Does your student qualify for an SGO Scholarship? SGO Tax Credit Scholarships are awarded to eligible students in the amount of $500 and are used to qualify a family for an Indiana CHOICE Scholarship in a future school year. To receive an SGO Tax Credit Scholarship, families must meet financial eligibility guidelines and complete an application by contacting Lisa Long at 219-838-0356 x 168 or via email at email@example.com. Applications are available now and should be completed by September 27, 2018.
1. Attention all 7th graders and parents! It’s your turn……etc sort nights are back! The 7th grade sort night is Thursday, Sept. 27th from 6:00-8:00 pm. etc is a resale shop that benefits Highland Christian and we need your help! Come out for a few hours to help sort through new donations. If you are unable to come during your child’s specific grade’s night, you may come to any other sort night! Parents who participate in sort night will receive an etc gift certificate and the student will receive a dilly bar at the end of the year!
2. Parents! Check your child’s back pack for a NEW discount card for etc. Use this 20% discount card each time you shop at etc throughout the 2018-2019 school year! Help give back to HCS by shopping etc!
3. Volunteers needed! Do you love to redecorate your house? Do you love matching outfits and accessories? If so, we need you! etc is looking for volunteers 2-3 Mondays a month for just a few hours to help reset displays in the store. Contact Beth at 219-865-5400 if you are interested!
Monday, Sept. 24 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
A & B soccer vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Tuesday, Sept. 25 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
A & B soccer vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Wed., Sept. 26 – Crown Point Christian Invitational Cross Country Meet – 4:30 start
Thursday, Sept. 27 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
A & B soccer vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
Friday, Sept. 28 – 8th Grade Girls Volleyball Tournament at Calvary – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 29 – 7th Grade Girls Volleyball Tournament at Calvary – 9:00 a.m.
1. With the upcoming holiday seasons approaching take advantage of using gift cards for all of your purchases. Sign up for TRIP today and start using our gift card buying program by buying physical gift cards or use your smartphones for buying online gift cards through the shopwithscrip.com website! Either way your rebates will help offset your tuition bill. For more information pick up a TRIP Information packet at the TRIP office or call TRIP at 219-838-0356 or email TRIP at firstname.lastname@example.org and a volunteer will get back to you.
2. For all of our online ordering families – As of 9/24/18 old Jewel/Albertson gift cards will not be available for a Reload option. You will need to purchase a new physical Jewel gift card in order to use the Reload option.
3. Next week’s Bonus Rebates (10/1/18): Domino’s – 11%; Hallmark – 5%; L.L. Bean – 16%.
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thurs., Sept. 27th by 10:00 a.m.
5. Team B (Amy Jellema, Lisa Long, Liz St. George) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Sept. 25th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Oct. 2; Team D – Oct. 9; Team A – Oct. 16; Team B – Oct 23. Next TRIP Cash & Carry Store will be Thurs., Oct. 18th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
1. Information on Dyer Indoor Soccer sign-ups is available in the HCS office.