PARENT NOTE – September 10, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I trust that your children are off to a good start – running the race marked out for them! If you were at our Convocation on the first day of school you would have met our new teacher – but if you weren’t there you didn’t.
We are very pleased to welcome Mrs. Calli VanKley to our 3rd Grade Team. Mrs. VanKley is a recent graduate of Trinity Christian College and is off to a great start in her classroom. When asked about what she thinks of HCS so far, she said: “I love that HCS is such a close community. I have enjoyed being able to share my faith with my students and see my students open up and share about their faith with the class.” In addition to Mrs. VanKley, we are pleased to welcome Mrs. Cheyanne Huizenga. Mrs. Huizenga is involved in our Junior High Encore (formerly known as Elective) Program – working with students on IXL and AR. We are also glad to welcome Mr. Vernon Bonner as our newest bus driver! This will come as good news to our bus riding families as we will be communicating with you this week about going to six routes instead of five!
MAP testing starts today. In order for your children to do their best, we just ask that they come rested and prepared for their day. MAP testing is untimed and since they take the assessment on either the IPad or MacBook with which they are familiar, we are able to keep the experience pretty low stress. We look forward to the information we will receive about our students – and we will be sharing it with you once the testing window closes and reports are generated later this month.
1. HCS Picture Day: Next Tuesday, Sept. 18, Interstate Studio will be taking the school pictures of our 1st through 8th grade students – please note: all kindergarten students will have their picture taken on Monday, Sept. 17. Order forms are being sent home with the students today. Please send the order form back with your child on Picture Day. You may also order your pictures online at inter-state.com/order, using order code 28856NA.
2. Does your student qualify for an SGO Scholarship? SGO Tax Credit Scholarships are awarded to eligible students in the amount of $500 and are used to qualify a family for an Indiana CHOICE Scholarship in a future school year. To receive an SGO Tax Credit Scholarship, families must meet financial eligibility guidelines and complete an application by contacting Lisa Long at 219-838-0356 x 168 or via email at email@example.com. Applications are available now and should be completed by September 27, 2018.
3. Grandparents Day is Friday, Oct. 12 and invitations will be mailed to all the grandparents in a couple of weeks. If your child’s grandparent information has changed since last year, please contact the school office. New Families: Please send your child’s grandparent information to the office as soon as possible so we can add them to our list.
1. Mark your calendars……etc sort nights are back! etc is a resale shop that benefits Highland Christian and we need your help! Come out for a few hours to help sort through new donations. All students 3rd grade and up are welcome to help us sort as well! Here are the dates for the sort nights for the upcoming school year (times are the same for each date, 6:00pm – 8:00 pm). If you are unable to come during your child’s specific grade’s night, you may come any other date listed!
• 8th grade: Sept. 11
• 7th grade: Sept. 27
• 6th grade: Oct. 18
• 5th grade: Oct. 30
• 4th grade: Nov. 13
• 3rd grade: Jan. 10
• 2nd grade: Jan. 22
• 1st grade: Feb. 5
• Kdg.: Feb 21
• All School: March 26
A special surprise will be awarded at the end of the year to the class with the most participants!
Monday, Sept. 10 – Illiana Invitational Cross Country Meet at Heritage Protestant Reformed School located at 10790 Calumet Ave., Dyer, IN – 4:00 start
Tuesday, Sept. 11 – A&B soccer vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
7th & 8th volleyball vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
Wed., Sept. 12 – A&B soccer vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
7th & 8th volleyball vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00 & 5:00
Friday, Sept. 14 – Cross Country Meet at Tinley Park – girls – 4:15 start, boys – 4:45 start
1. Thank-Scrip-ing Day is coming on Monday, Sept. 17. Check out all the bonus rebates available from many of your favorite retailers on the shopwithscrip.com website. Not signed up for TRIP and/or online ordering? No problem, contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2. Walmart is now reloadable on the shopwithscrip.com website!
3. etc…Thrift Store is increasing their percentage to 20%!!! etc is on our voucher program. When you go to shop at etc make sure you take a voucher form with you. Extra voucher forms are available outside the TRIP office to pick up. Support Highland Christian School and help your tuition bill when you shop etc…Thrift Store.
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thurs., Sept. 13th by 10:00 a.m.
5. Team D (Shelly Witham, Linda Balkema, Amy Yonkman) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Sept. 11th. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up on Tuesday in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Sept. 18; Team B – Sept. 25; Team C – Oct. 2; Team D – Oct. 9
TRIP Cash & Carry Store will be Thurs., Sept. 20th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
LIFE HAPPENS ANYWAY!! Come for a night of LAUGHS at Crossroads Community Church, 1538 Janice Dr., Schererville, IN. Featuring the very funny, Christian Comedian, Tracy DeGraff on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 7:00 p.m. To purchase tickets and more information, check out: aboutccc.com.