PARENT NOTE – September 4, 2018
“Run YOUR Race”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I hope that everyone’s year has started well. In July, I took eleven HCS teachers to the Professional Learning Communities Conference in Lincolnshire, Illinois. The majority of our teachers have now attended this conference and the (Professional Learning Community) PLC practices are positively impacting education at Highland Christian School. One of the most important practices of a PLC is that there are clear learning targets for students. At the Back to School Night (Ice cream Social) you received those clear learning targets for Language Arts and Math as well as other areas in Junior High. Those learning targets answer the first of four questions of a PLC: What will my child learn?
No matter the class or grade – if learning is to take place, question one must be clearly answered. We will be continually encouraging students to have their version of the question in their minds: What will I learn? This is what will help your child become an engaged learner.
1. Important Reminder: This Wednesday, September 5 is the first of our Late Starts for this year. These Late Starts are for Professional Growth for the faculty. School will begin at 10:00 a.m. on these days and doors will open at 9:40 a.m. The Before and After School Program is available at the usual 6:30 a.m. start time. Bus riders will be picked up 1 ½ hours later than their normal time since school will be starting 1 ½ hours later.
2. Food Allergies: If you indicated that your child has a severe food allergy when you completed your child’s medical profile, you received an envelope in your child’s backpack today with a sheet entitled Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan. Please complete that sheet and return it to your child’s teacher by Friday, September 7th. If you did not receive the sheet, and your child has a severe food allergy please let the office know and one will be sent home.
3. Advanced Notice: Monday & Tuesday, Sept. 17 & 18, Interstate Studio will be at HCS to take pictures of our students – kindergarten will have their pictures taken on Monday and 1st – 8th grade pictures will be taken on Tuesday. More information and order forms will be sent home with the students next week.
4. HCS has a relationship with Chicago Christian Counseling and each year they provide two counselors for us. These counselors are interns and have been very valuable to us. This year the counselors are Gillian Haygood and Colleen Jackson. If you would like your child to be able to visit one of the counselors, ask the office for the Parent Permission Form. If you have any questions, ask Mr. Payne.
5. When calling a teacher during the day, we ask that you use voicemail rather than ringing directly to their extension.
1. Tuesday, Sept. 4 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Lansing – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
A soccer vs. Lansing – HOME – 4:15
Wednesday, Sept. 5 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
A & B soccer vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00 & 5:00
Monday, Sept. 10 – Illiana Invitational Cross Country Meet at Heritage Protestant Reformed School located at 10790 Calumet Ave., Dyer, IN – 4:00 start
1. etc…Thrift Store is increasing their percentage to 20%!!! ETC is on our voucher program. When you go to shop at etc make sure you take a voucher form with you. Extra voucher forms are available outside the TRIP office to pick up. Support Highland Christian School and help your tuition bill when you shop ETC…Thrift Store.
2. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping opportunities are coming up. Buy gift cards or buy scrip now online orders for all of your shopping needs. DON’T BE SHY, ASK YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO BUY GIFT CARDS FROM YOU!
3. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Store will be Thurs., Sept. 20th from 8:15 to 9 a.m.
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) this Thurs., Sept. 6th by 10:00 a.m.
5. Team C will be putting the TRIP orders together today. TRIP orders will be ready for pick up today in the school office by 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Sept. 11; Team A – Sept. 25; Team B – Oct. 2; Team C – Oct. 9
1. First Church (PCA) (Ridge & Burnham in Lansing) will be hosting a parenting webinar with Paul Tripp on Friday, Oct. 5 (7:00 – 9:00 p.m.) and Saturday, Oct. 6 (9:00 to 11:00 a.m.). Admission is only $5.00. There will be no childcare provided, so line up a babysitter in advance and come join us! If you are a parent, an involved grandparent, or even if you want someday to be a parent, please join us! For more information, please visit our website at www.firstchurchpca.org or call the office at (708) 474-9610.
2. Chicago Christian Counseling Center Job Opening:
• Part-time Office Assistant in our Intake/Scheduling Department at our Orland Park location
• Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 9am – 4pm (28 hours/week)
• Qualified applicants should have excellent phone and computer skills. Office and medical insurance experience helpful. Submit resume to Mel Jonkman, Executive Director at email@example.com. Chicago Christian Counseling Center is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit and has provided professional Christian counseling in Chicagoland and northwest Indiana since 1973.
3. The Second Annual Mommy’s Haven Superhero Event sponsored by Pathway Church will be held on Saturday, October 13 from 11:00 am. – 3:00 pm. at Crown Point Christian School, 10550 Park Place, St. John, IN (in the gates of St. John Subdivision). This action packed day will include lunch, superheroes, games and activities, Culver’s, Chick-fil-A, Hometown Heroes K-9 Unit and more! Child tickets (over 2 years) are $15 each which includes lunch and all listed activities; adult tickets are $5 each which includes lunch. All ages are welcome and costumes are encouraged! Tickets are on sale at mommyshaven.org.