PARENT NOTE – May 29, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Today for announcements I shared the following: The road is never crowded when you’re going the extra mile. Yes, sometimes going the extra mile is a lonely endeavor. However, this Friday we will be going the extra mile together for our annual Service Day. I’m grateful that this is part of life here at HCS, and I know that as our students and teachers bless others, they will be blessed themselves.
Reminder, we are preparing the June 4 summer package for you with MAPS and Summer Reading. It will be sent home with your child.
1. This Friday is Service Day at Highland Christian. As our students and faculty serve at HCS and in the community, we pray that the love of Christ will be seen in us! Everyone is welcome to join us for chapel at 8:45 on Friday morning. Thanks to those who’ve given towards the costs of Service Day. If you would still like to donate, your gift is appreciated.
2. Advance Notice: There is no aftercare on the last day school, Thursday, June 7.
3. We still have a few yearbooks for sale in the office. Yearbooks sell for $15.00.
4. Parents of Prospective or Current Band Students: Highland Christian School has the distinct privilege to offer a limited number of scholarships for private music lessons. These scholarships are being provided through the Case and Rosemary Van Til Family Legacy Fund. This is a need based scholarship, meaning that if your child desires private music lessons and your budget prohibits this, you are eligible. To apply for a music lesson scholarship, your child must:
• be enrolled in 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th grade for the 2018-19 school year
• desire to learn to play a musical instrument, and
• enroll in band for the same year.
Scholarship applications are due by June 1. Scholarship recipients will be notified by June 8. The scholarship award will provide 3-5 months of lessons depending on the provider’s rates. By signing the application, parents are making a statement of financial need. No additional documentation will be required. HCS will provide a list of approved music teachers; however, if you have a preferred provider, please provide their name and contact information so that we might confirm payment arrangements with them. Download an Application Form
8th GRADE NEWS
1. On Thursday, June 7 we will have our 8th grade graduation ceremony. Students will come to school at 8:30 a.m (note time change) for graduation practice and must be picked up when it is over, approximately 9:00 am. Graduation will start at 7:00 p.m. Students should be at New Life Church by 6:15. Following graduation, we will have a short reception in the HCS gym for students to take pictures and have light refreshments. NOTE: we will need 8th grade families to bring cookies, brownies and bars for this event. Please call or email Mrs. Groen if you can bring some desserts. All family members attending graduation are invited. Boys are required to wear collared shirts, ties, dress pants, and dress shoes. Girls are required to wear a skirt or dress, and light-colored dress shoes (not flip-flops). Please keep in mind that dresses should have sleeves.
INDIANA CHOICE NEWS
1. 2018/19 School CHOICE Voucher Applications are now being accepted. CHOICE Vouchers provide partial tuition scholarships for eligible families. Please visit the CHOICE Resource Board using your HCS OnCampus login and the IN Department of Education for more information. Please contact Lisa Long at 219-838-0356 x 168 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to schedule an appointment to complete an application. You must provide a copy of your 2017 tax return or proof of current income along with current proof of address at the time of application.
1. Parents! Are you dreading the approaching “Mom/Dad, I’m bored!”? Summer is just around the corner and we all know that after the first few weeks of summer, boredom can set in. If your child is junior high age or older, we would love to have them volunteer at etc…Thrift Store! Volunteering allows your child to get out of the house and away from all of those electronics while giving back to Highland Christian. Parents are welcome too! Flexible schedules are available. Please contact Beth at 219-865-5400 or email her at email@example.com for more information.
1. HCS is looking for one or two volleyball coaches for next fall. If you are interested in coaching, or know of someone who is, please contact Neil Krooswyk at 838-0356 ext. #164.
1. The school year is almost over but TRIP orders continue through the month of June. The last TRIP order due in June is the 28th. After school is out if you would like to purchase Cash & Carry Gift Cards leave a message at the TRIP office, 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org, and a TRIP volunteer will get back to you. Online ordering using the shopwithscrip.com PrestoPay option is available year round.
2. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., June 7 from 8:15 – to 9 a.m. only (no afternoon store).
3. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due Thurs., May 31st by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/29): Chili’s – 13%.
5. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 6/4): Bass Pro Shops – 11%; Cabela’s – 11%; Bob Evans – 11%; Lowe’s – 5%
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – June 5; Team D – June 12; Team A – June 19; Team B June 26; TRIP Volunteers needed for July 3 or 5; Team C – Aug. 7
1. Attention Moms! MomsNation is dedicated to encouraging, equipping, and empowering you in motherhood through our MOPS (kids birth – kinder) & Moms In The Middle (kids 1st – 12th) groups! Here you will find friendship and inspiration to be the best mom you can be! Come check us out at Faith Church in Highland! We will meet in the Fall on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays/Wednesdays from 9-11am.
2. Want to connect over the summer? We will have a Touch a Truck Open House on July 14 from 9am to 1pm. This is a FREE event and all are welcome. We also have a Summer Park schedule as well as OPEN REGISTRATION that you can find on our FB page https://m.facebook.com/MOPSMITMFaithChurchHighland/. Any questions, please contact: Kristy Tebben 219.718.8446, email@example.com