PARENT NOTE – May 21, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Last week I shared with you that you would be getting some very useful information that you can use to help your child be ready for their next grade. Here’s the date so that you can be prepared to receive the information: June 4th. On that date you will receive your child’s MAP results, as well as a list of the learning standards for the grade that they are completing, including directions for IXL for any of the standards that need work. We have found the IXL work engaging for students. Their recommendation of an average of 3 ten minute sessions per week should be very doable for our students. They can access IXL from any computer with internet – home, library or wherever. The report cards will be available on June 16.
Parents, you play a part in providing orderly classrooms by communicating with the teacher if your child will be leaving school early. When you come in unannounced and we call the classroom to have the student get ready and have the teacher get their things ready, this disrupts the learning of the other students in the class. Please avoid these early departures if at all possible and when they are necessary, please let us know at the beginning of the day.
1. The Grand Finale! Join us this Thursday, May 24 at 7:00 p.m. for the final concert of the year for 5th Grade Band, Junior High Band, Junior High Choir and, new this year – Art! After the concert, join us in the gym foyer for refreshments and see the art that students in grades 5-8 have created this year!
2. Don’t forget to order your yearbook – there is only a small amount left! Yearbooks will be handed out this Friday, May 25.
8th GRADE NEWS
1. Thursday, June 7 is 8th Grade Graduation. Students will come to school at 9:00 a.m. for graduation practice and must be picked up when it is over at approximately 9:45 a.m. That evening, students should be at New Life Church by 6:15 and the graduation ceremony will begin at 7:00 p.m. Following graduation, we will have a short reception in the HCS gym for students to take pictures and have light refreshments. NOTE: We will need 8th grade families to bring cookies, brownies and bars for this event. Please call or email Mrs. Groen (email@example.com) if you are able to bring a dessert. All family members attending graduation are invited. Boys are required to wear collared shirts, ties, dress pants, and dress shoes. Girls are required to wear a skirt or dress, and light-colored dress shoes (no flip-flops). Please keep in mind that dresses should have sleeves.
1. HCS is looking for one or two volleyball coaches for next fall. If you are interested in coaching, or know of someone who is, please contact Neil Krooswyk at 838-0356 ext. #164.
1. Now Hiring! Immediate openings for part-time cashiers/floor stocking. Apply in store or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., June 7 from 8:15 – to 9 a.m. only (no afternoon store). Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com for more information.
2. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due Thurs., May 24th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/21): Chili’s – 13%; Jewel – 4%; Red Robin – 10%; Shutterfly – 10%.
4. Team A (Julie Sitter, Tori Smits, Cheryl Filler, Lupe Morales) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 22nd. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – May 29; Team C – June 5; Team D – June 12; Team A – June 19