PARENT NOTE – May 14, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
One final encouragement for you to join us tonight for Chris McKenna of Protect Young Eyes. While we will continue to teach your children about ethical digital citizenship here at HCS, we will continue to provide you with helpful tools to help you as you guide your children in this information age.
We are continuing with MAP testing. When you get those MAP results before the end of the school year, we will be providing you with information on how to use IXL (ask your child about this program if you are not familiar with it) to address any gaps in preparation for their next year.
1. The faculty and staff of HCS would like to thank our HCS families and PTO for the goodies, gifts, and kind words given for Staff Appreciation Week. What a blessing to be a part of our HCS community! Thank you so much!
2. Protect Young Eyes presentation is this evening, May 14, beginning at 7:00 p.m. in the school gym. As a reminder, it is mandatory for parents of current 5th graders in preparation for them receiving their MacBooks in the fall. Those who come this evening will be able to register their attendance. In order for students to receive their computers in the fall, parents unable to attend will have the opportunity to do an activity promoting internet safety. Chris was here last year and is an excellent speaker. Check out his website www.protectyoungeyes.com.
3. Yearbook order forms were sent home with the students last week. They sell for $15.00 and are on a first come, first served basis – don’t wait too long to order yours! Yearbooks will be handed out at the end of this month.
4. We invite you to participate in our annual Christian Service Day, Friday, June 1. There are several ways to engage with us as we model our core values of community and service.
• First, we invite you to join us for chapel at 8:35 a.m.
• Second, the average cost of our service day activities is $500.00. If you wish to give to offset these costs, your gift would be appreciated.
• Lastly, we are looking for a few additional junior high chaperones. If you are interested, please contact Jodi Lineburg (219) 838-0356 x165.
5. Girls on the Run: The Grand Finale of our season is finally here! We are so very proud of our girls and all their efforts! Our 5K is this Saturday, May 19 at 10:00 am at Highland High School. Please keep us in your prayers, and please pray for good weather! Everyone is welcome to register as a participant in the race, or as a volunteer. We would love to see HCS represented among the volunteers and if you’re interested in helping at our HCS Water Stop, please contact Mrs. Zandstra at firstname.lastname@example.org You may also come to cheer us along the route or at the finish line! Please visit www.gotrofnwi.org to volunteer or register for the race.
6. Office Depot “Give Back to Schools”: Any time you shop at Office Depot/Office Max, Highland Christian School will receive 5% back in credits for free supplies. All you have to do is give them HCS’s School ID#70036301 for HCS to receive this credit.
TRIP CASH & CARRY GIFT CARD STORE
1. Thurs., May 17 from 8:15 – to 9 a.m. & 2:30 – 3 p.m.
Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25,
Buca di Beppo Rest. $25, Buffalo Wild Wings $10, Carters/Osh Kosh $25, CVS $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, Dairy Queen $10, Domino’s $10, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, Home Depot $25, IHOP $10, iTunes $25, Jewel $25, Kmart $25, Kohl’s $25/$100, Lane Bryant/Catherine’s $25, Meijer $25/$50, Menard’s $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Noodles & Co. $25, Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack $25, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Shutterfly $25, Speedway $25, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50, Subway $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Zandstra’s Greenhouse $15.
8th GRADE NEWS
1. On Wednesday, May 16, we will take the 8th grade class photo after school with their robes. It usually runs about an hour from 3:30-4:30pm. Your student must be there in order to be in the photo. There is not any make-up date for this. Gowns will be handed out for the picture and then collected after the picture is taken. Boys are required to wear collared shirts, ties, black dress pants, and black dress shoes. Girls are required to wear a skirt, or dress, and light-colored dress shoes (not flip-flops).
2. On May 18, the 8th grade class will go on the annual Chicago Trip. We take the South Shore train into the city and go on an architectural tour. We will finish the day with pizza and take the 5:58 train back to school. We ask that your student be picked up around 8:00 p.m. that evening. Costs for students are about $10-$12 for lunch. Approximate costs for chaperones will be train ticket, lunch and dinner ($50.00).
3. Last, on Thursday, June 7 we will have our graduation ceremony. Students will come to school at 9:00 a.m. for graduation practice and must be picked up when it is over at approximately 9:45 a.m. Graduation will start at 7:00 p.m. Students should be at New Life Church by 6:15. Following graduation, we will have a short reception in the HCS gym for students to take pictures and have light refreshments. NOTE: we will need 8th grade families to bring cookies, brownies and bars for this event. Please call or email Mrs. Groen (email@example.com) if you can bring some desserts. All family members attending graduation are invited. Boys are required to wear collared shirts, ties, dress pants, and dress shoes. Girls are required to wear a skirt or dress, and light-colored dress shoes (not flip-flops). Please keep in mind that dresses should have sleeves.
1. Now Hiring! Immediate openings for part-time cashiers/floor stocking. Apply in store or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., May 17 from 8:15 – to 9 a.m. & 2:30 – 3 p.m. For those unable to purchase gift cards in person leave a message at email@example.com or call 219-838-0356, ext. 199. Requests will be processed on May 18th.
2. Help, Help, Help! The TRIP program is looking for volunteers to help with putting our TRIP orders together. Each TRIP team works once a month on a Tuesday morning for approximately an hour and a half. Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
3. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due Thurs., May 17th by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/14): Jewel – 4%; Red Robin – 10%; Shutterfly – 10%; Boston Market – 13%.
5. Team D (Shelly Witham, Amy Yonkman, Linda Balkema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 15th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – May 22; Team B – May 29; Team C – June 5; Team D – June 12