PARENT NOTE – May 7, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
If you were at the Auction last month you witnessed an amazing outpouring of generosity from this community to advance the technology initiatives for students at Highland Christian. Along with the blessing of this technology comes the responsibility for acceptable use. For the third year, Highland Christian is pleased to welcome Mr. Chris McKenna of “Protect Young Eyes.” He will be with us on Monday May 14th. Chris will be speaking to our students in grades 3-8 during the day, and then addressing parents at 7:00 pm in our gym. Two things about this evening:
- This event has grown in attendance each year. Chris has dedicated his life to helping parents keep their kids safe. Each year, he provides valuable information about how seemingly safe sites and apps can be dangerous for kids. I assure you that all who attend are glad they did, so please make it a priority to join us. You can learn more about Chris’s work at ProtectYoungEyes.com.
- Last year the presentation was mandatory for parents of students going into Jr High in preparation for the MacBook roll out. This year, it is mandatory for parents of current 5th graders in preparation for them receiving their MacBooks in the fall. Those who come on Monday will be able to register their attendance. In order for students to receive their computers in the fall, parents unable to attend will have the opportunity to do an activity promoting internet safety.
- Reminder: This Wednesday, May 9 is a late start. School will begin at 10:00 on this day.
- The Highland Christian School Annual Society Meeting is this evening, May 7 at 7:30 p.m. in the school gym. On the agenda will be the election of three school board members: Jason Smit, April Vander Meyden, and Gerritt Wieringa, and the approval of the 2018/2019 budget. The Society Meeting Agenda is available at highlandchristian.org and printed copies of the agenda and absentee ballots are available in the school office.
- Everyone is invited to the junior high production of “Aladdin Jr.” this Thursday and Friday, May 10 & 11. Tickets for general admission for each performance can be bought at the door (doors open at 6:30 pm on Thursday for photo opportunities and at 6:55 pm on Friday). Tickets are $5.00/adult and $3.00/child. Come see our talented students in HCS’ annual musical!
- Yearbook order forms are being sent home with all the students today. They sell for $15.00 and are on a first come, first served basis – don’t wait too long to order yours! Yearbooks will be handed out at the end of this month.
- There will be an all-school chapel led by our kindergarten and 1st grade students this Thursday at 8:40 a.m. in the school gym. Everyone is welcome!
- Homemade vanilla is for sale in the HCS office for all of your baking needs.
- We invite you to participate in our Annual Christian Service Day, Friday, June 1. There are several ways to engage with us as we model our core values of community and service.
- First, we invite you to join us for chapel at 8:35am.
- Second, the average cost of our service day activities is $500. If you wish to give to offset these costs, your gift would be appreciated.
- Lastly, we are looking for a few additional junior high chaperones. If you are interested, please contact Jodi Lineburg (219) 838-0356 x165.
- , May 9 – League Championship Track Meet at Chicago Christian – 12:00 start
- Join us for a huge sale! From May 3-9, fill a bag with men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing for just $10! Some exclusions may apply. Store hours are Monday-Saturday, 10-4.
- Thank-Scrip-ing Day is today for all of our online participants. Check out the shopwithscrip.com website for ScripNow, ReloadNow and Reload special bonus rebates available TODAY ONLY from various retailers!
- Help, Help, Help! The TRIP program is looking for volunteers to help with putting our TRIP orders together. Each TRIP team works once a month on a Tuesday morning for approximately an hour and a half. Contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com for more information.
- TRIP orders (paper and online) are due, May 10th by 10 a.m.
- Current Bonus Rebates (week of 5/7): Boston Market – 13%; Express – 11%; JCPenney – 6%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%.
- Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 8th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
- TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – May 15; Team A – May 22; Team B – May 29; Team C – June 5
- Information on Griffith YMCA Summer Camps and Girls on the Run Summer Camp is available in the HCS office.