PARENT NOTE – April 30, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
ISTEP testing will be finished tomorrow. Thank you for supporting us with great attendance during this time! You will be able to see the results of these tests when the Parent Portal is open from June 11-22. We will share the information about how to access the Parent Portal when it is sent to us at the end of May.
In last week’s Parent Note I encouraged you to review your child’s report card. I’d like you to revisit that report card with your child, and if you haven’t already done this, talk to them about it. Do they think the grades and comments reflect their experience? Did they want something different? If they want the 4th Quarter Report Card to be different, what strategies will they be using? “The important question is not how assessment is defined but whether assessment information is used.” Palomba and Banta.
1. The Highland Christian School Annual Society Meeting will be held on Monday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m. in the school gym. On the agenda will be the election of three school board members: Jason Smit, April Vander Meyden, and Gerritt Wieringa, and the approval of the 2018/2019 budget. The Society Meeting Agenda is available at www.highlandchristian.org and printed copies of the agenda and absentee ballots are available in the school office.
2. Important Reminder: There is no late start this Wed., May 2. The new late start date is next Wed., May 9.
3. Congratulations to our Young Authors winners! Each student in grades 1-5 and select students from grade 6 write Young Authors books each year, and two students are chosen as winners from each classroom. These students, along with 250 other students from area schools, attended the Young Authors Festival at Trinity Christian College last Tuesday. They met author and illustrator Grace Lin, shared books they’ve written, were entertained by an improv group, and participated in a writers’ workshop. This year’s “young authors” were Madigan Poortinga, Joshua Neibert, Noah Roberson, Belany Vazquez, Madelyn Van Beek, Max Van Laten, Kaleb Green, Vincent Avila, Claire Aardsma, Johnathan Escamilla, Ethan DeBoer, Ani DeYoung, Christian Garza, Haylie Hutton, Peter De Young, Lillyana Garcia, Lorelai St. George, Daniel De Young, Kenny Castrejon, Jack McDonald, Kayla DuPuy, Skylar VanTil, Kennedi Green, and Madelyn Long. Congratulations, students!
4. PreK – 8th Grade Birthdays at Highland Christian School: Birthdays are important for our students and we want them to have the opportunity to be recognized on their special day! If you choose to have your child share a treat with his or her classmates, send it in a package that can be put in the children’s backpacks at the end of the day to take and enjoy at home. This practice allows us to preserve valuable learning time and also allows parents to decide if the treat is consistent with the dietary choices appropriate for their child.
5. Homemade vanilla is for sale in the HCS office for all of your baking needs.
1. Join us for a huge sale! From May 3-9, fill a bag with men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing for just $10! Some exclusions may apply. Store hours are Monday-Saturday, 10-4.
1. Wednesday, May 2 – Track Meet at Chicago Christian – 3:30 start
1. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due Thurs., May 3rd by 10 a.m.
2. If you are interested in purchasing Cash & Carry Gift Cards from the TRIP office leave a message at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com so a TRIP volunteer can contact you. The next Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is May 17th from 8:15 – to 9 a.m. & 2:30 – 3 p.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 4/30): Express – 11%; JCPenney – 6%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%; Bath & Body Works – 17%; Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; L.L. Bean16%; Landry’s Rest. – 9%.
4. Next week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 5/7): Boston Market – 13%.
5. Team B (Kathi Fulton, Lisa Long, Amy Jellema, Suzanne Van Ek) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., May 1st. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – May 8; Team D – May 15; Team A – May 22; Team B – May 29
1. Information on Indiana University Summer Reading Skills Programs is available in the HCS office.
2. National Day of Prayer Open House Prayer Meeting is being held at Suburban Bible Church, 3010 41st St., Highland on Thursday, May 3. Doors open from 6:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Come, pray, and go as you are able.