PARENT NOTE – March 12, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Larry Lezotte, in his work about the Correllates of Effective Schools, cites a safe and orderly environment as highly important. There are two generations of safe and orderly and both matter.
The first generation deals with things like fire drills, severe weather drills, locked doors and now, of course, Lockdown Drills. Each year we conduct a full lockdown drill and what has been called a soft or partial lockdown drill. Last week I visited with our Highland Police Resource Officer to talk about our plan. The main elements are still to keep children out of harm’s way and for first responders to arrive as quickly as possible. One change is that the Highland Police, in an effort to standardize language, now want us to use the phrase lockout instead of soft or partial lockdown. In a lockout scenario, children are safe and may move in the building but no one can come in or go out of the building. We will be practicing this with the students.
The second generation of safe and orderly refers to socially and emotionally safe. Every day, through our announcements, I stress the importance of treating each other well as a way of promoting student success and well-being. How students feel about the way they are treated matters and treating others with respect has high value for us. We also know that students come to school with many things on their minds – and some of those things make it hard for students to do their best work. HCS teachers are there to support students and working with you to help students be ready to learn also has high value for us.
The fundamental purpose of HCS is Christ-centered learning for all at high levels, and a safe and orderly environment is critical to realizing our vision of students being academically equipped, biblically grounded and spiritually nurtured to impact the world for Christ.
One final note – Part 1 of ISTEPS is done, 3rd graders will take IREAD this week, and Part 2 of ISTEPS will be later in the spring. Because of your support in this process, we had very few absences – so thank you!
1. Congratulations to the following finalists in the National Geography Bee:
• 4th grade – Nick Neibert, Kendrall Green
• 5th grade – Armaan Sen, Wyatt Bussema
• 6th grade – Micah Jones, Sophia Oostema
• 7th grade – Arie DeYoung, Byron Rideaux
• 8th –Brynn McGuffey, Max Meter
At the end of January, we held our final competition in the gym with Arie DeYoung winning the final. Arie then had to take the National Geographic online test. On March 1 Arie had advanced to the state finals at IUPUI in Indianapolis! On April 6 he will compete with state winners for the National Bee held in Washington DC. Congratulations Arie as you are in the top 1% in Geography knowledge among students in the world!
2. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel this Thursday, March 15 led by the 2nd grade.
3. Girls on the Run: It’s not too late to register! Third through fifth grade girls are invited to join us! Please check out www.gotrofnwi.org for more info. Our first practice was Tuesday, March 6th, but girls can join anytime up until March 19.
1. The Choir Festival at Illiana Christian High School is this Tuesday, March 13. The choir students will be leaving HCS for Illiana at 2:00 p.m. The concert begins at 6:30 p.m. and parents need to bring their child home after the concert.
TRIP CASH & CARRY GIFT CARD STORE
1. The TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store: Thurs., Mar. 15th. Times: 8:15 to 9 a.m.; 2:30 to 3 p.m. You must be registered with the TRIP program and come in person to buy gift cards. For those unable to purchase gift cards in person leave a message at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email@example.com. Requests will be processed the next school day.
Cards available to purchase: Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Buca di Beppo Rest. $25, Buffalo Wild Wings $10, Carters/Osh Kosh $25, CVS $25, Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Domino’s $10, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, Home Depot $25, IHOP $10, iTunes $25, Jewel $25, Kohl’s $25/$100, Lane Bryant/Catherine’s $25, Meijer $25/$50, Menard’s $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Noodles & Co. $25, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Shutterfly $25, Speedway $25, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50, Subway $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, Texas Roadhouse $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
1. This Thursday, March 15 is sort night at etc for 1st grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
1. Thursday, March 15 – boys’ volleyball vs. Crown Point – HOME – 5:00
Saturday, March 17 – Boys’ Volleyball Tournament at Illiana – TBA
1. Countdown to Spring Break! There are only two TRIP order dates left before spring break (Mar. 15, 22).
2. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store is this Thurs., Mar. 15th.
3. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thurs., Mar. 15th by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Mar. 12): Domino’s – 10%; Red Robin – 10%, TGI Fridays – 9%;
Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; Boston Market – 13%; Cabela’s – 11%; Carter’s/Osh Kosh – 10%; Lowe’s – 5%.
5. Next week’s Bonus Rebate: Bass Pro Shops – 11%; Game Stop – 4%; JCPenney – 5%; Meijer – 5%; Shutterfly – 10%; The Home Depot – 6%.
6. Team A (Julie Sitter, Lupe Morales, Cheryl Filler, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Mar. 13th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Mar. 20; Team C – Mar. 27; Team D – Apr. 17; Team A – Apr. 24
1. Men of A-Chord Christian Men’s Chorus and Illiana Christian High School Choir are pleased to present our annual “Harmony of Generations” Concert on Saturday, March 17, 7:00 p.m. at First Christian Reformed Church, (16248 South Park Ave., South Holland, IL). Everyone is welcome and there is no cost to attend. Proceeds from a free-will offering will benefit the Illiana Christian High School Choral Department. For more information see our website at www.menofachord.org.
2. Men of A-Chord Christian Men’s Chorus is pleased to announce our annual “Night of Song” Concerts. There will be FOUR men’s choruses participating in TWO concerts this year! Saturday, April 28 at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, April 29 at 2:00 p.m. The concerts will be held at First Christian Reformed Church, (16248 South Park Ave., South Holland, IL). Everyone is welcome to join us for a time of praise to God our Savior. There is no cost to attend. For more information see our website at www.menofachord.org.
3. GEMS FUNDRAISER: Visit Culver’s in Highland on Saturday, April 7, from 11am to 8pm and they will donate 10% of sales to our New Life’s GEMS Club! Enjoy a delicious meal, benefit a great cause & feel good all over! Please remember to mention GEMS when you place your order.