PARENT NOTE – March 5, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
For those of you with students in Grades 3-8 taking ISTEPs, last week went well. The technology worked and the students are using their full amount of time to check their work. As you probably know from the news, this is the last year for these tests as they are being replaced with ILEARN. Whereas ISTEPs have a test window in February/March and again in May, ILEARN will only have one window in May – hopefully a good thing!
Here are a couple of mid-year reminders about our Drop off and Pick up procedures:
1) No hand held devices while driving – this applies to EVERYONE – and, yes, I realize that all caps in an e-mail is the equivalent of yelling.
2) Morning Drop off – if you need to walk your child/ren in, please park in the lot to the east of the school. If you park in the diagonal spots opposite the front door, you and your children are crossing against the drop-off line.
3) Pick up at the end of the day – if you choose to park, park in the lot to the east of the school and then walk over. Parking alongside the driveway by the garage is not an option.
Thanks for looking after these details!
There will be an e-mail tomorrow, but here’s a heads-up that we have a Late Start this Wednesday, March 7th.
- Reminder: This Wednesday, March 7 is a late start. School will begin at 10:00 on this day.
- Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2018/2019 school year is scheduled for next Wednesday, March 14. If you have a kindergarten-age child for next year and are considering kindergarten at HCS, please contact the school office.
- HCS Preview Day is this Friday, March 9 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. If you know of anyone interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them or have them contact the school office at 219-838-0356.
- Early Enrollment: Please login to OnCampus to view and accept the 2018-19 Highland Christian School Enrollment Contract for your child(ren). Early enrollment is in effect until March 31. Early enrollment and payment in full of your August bill by 8/15/2018 qualifies you for a credit of $50. The guidelines for the enrollment fee credit are available on the student billing resource board in onCampus. Please note that both parents on record must login individually to accept the contract and finalize enrollment. If you need assistance with your enrollment contract or login credentials, please contact Jodi L. at 219-838-0356 x165.
- The Science and Engineering Fair is this week Friday! Fifth and seventh grade students will be presenting their projects during school on Friday and an open house will be held Friday evening from 6:00-7:30pm to show off their work. Come on out and see the great work our students have done!
- We need more judges! We are still in need of a few more judges for the science fair on Friday. Judging will take place between 8:30am and 1:00pm. No science background is needed and even if you cannot stay the entire time, any time you can give would be a huge help! Please contact Mr. Van Dyke as soon as possible if you are interested and able to help out. Our students really benefit by having someone other than their teachers assess their work!
- Next Thursday, March 15 is sort night at etc for 1st grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 6 – boys volleyball vs. Lansing – AWAY – 4:15
Thursday, March 8 – boys volleyball vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:15
Saturday, March 10 – Boys Volleyball Tournament at Crown Point – TBA
- Countdown to Spring Break! There are only three TRIP order dates left before spring break (Mar. 8, 15, 22). Are you traveling for spring break? Check out the shopwithscrip.com website to see what retailers are located near your vacation destination or on the way to it.
- The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., Mar. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m.
- TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thurs., Mar. 8th by 10 a.m.
- Current Bonus Rebates (week of Mar. 5): Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; Boston Market – 13%; Cabela’s – 11%; Carter’s/Osh Kosh – 10%; Lowe’s – 5%; Jewel – 4%.
- Next week’s Bonus Rebate: Domino’s – 10%; Red Robin – 10%; TGI Fridays – 9%.
- Team D (Shelly Witham, Linda Balkema, Amy Yonkman) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Mar. 6th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
- TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Mar. 13; Team B – Mar. 20; Team C – Mar. 27; Team D – Apr. 17
- PREVIEW ILLIANA: This Tuesday, March 6, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. Open the door to Illiana Christian High School. Parents and students are welcome! Meet with faculty and administration, observe live teaching, get a sneak peek of the musical, hear the latest about the new campus, and have all your questions answered. No pre-registration necessary. Please invite neighbors, friends, family, and anyone else to this great event! Any questions can be directed to Admissions Counselor Marie Limback at 708-474-0515 Ext. 49 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Men of A-Chord Christian Men’s Chorus and Illiana Christian High School Choir are pleased to present our annual “Harmony of Generations” Concert on Saturday, March 17, 7:00 p.m. at First Christian Reformed Church, (16248 South Park Ave., South Holland, IL). Everyone is welcome and there is no cost to attend. Proceeds from a free-will offering will benefit the Illiana Christian High School Choral Department. For more information see our website at www.menofachord.org.
- Men of A-Chord Christian Men’s Chorus is pleased to announce our annual “Night of Song” Concerts. There will be FOUR men’s choruses participating in TWO concerts this year! Saturday, April 28 at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, April 29 at 2:00 p.m. The concerts will be held at First Christian Reformed Church, (16248 South Park Ave., South Holland, IL). Everyone is welcome to join us for a time of praise to God our Savior. There is no cost to attend. For more information see our website at menofachord.org.