PARENT NOTE – February 26, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
This morning, I had the opportunity to lead devotions for our faculty. I shared with them an excellent book I am reading called Canoeing the Mountains. The book is for Christian leaders and it draws on the experience of the Lewis and Clark expedition. They were canoers, but once they passed the headwaters of the Missouri, they had to ditch their canoes and become mountaineers.
We, too, have had to rethink many of the ways we do things. In the past, we were guided by the bell curve – a few A’s, a few F’s, a few more B’s and D’s with plenty of C’s – and we thought we were doing our job; and we were, because the job of school was to sort and select. But not any more – our job is now learning for all at high levels – high levels is defined as grade level and beyond. And so we must continue to monitor student learning through classroom instruction and assessments, and other assessments like MAP and ISTEP.
ISTEP starts this week and I would ask two things of you: send your children ready to do their best, and encourage them to take their time and think about what they are doing. I’m afraid one of the unintended consequences of their exposure to electronics has turned some students into happy tappers, and in order for them to do their best, they need to take their time.
Thanks for your support – not only are we very close to an A grade for HCS, these results go with students on to high school, and we want them to show what they are really capable of.
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2018/2019 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2018/2019 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 14. If you have a kindergarten-age child for next year and are considering kindergarten at HCS, please contact the school office.
3. Please continue to send in your pop tabs in memory of Elena Poortenga. We are hoping to collect enough pop tabs to place another leaf with her name on the tree at the Ronald McDonald House.
4. Girls on the Run: Last week to register 3rd-5th grade girls! Go to www.gotrofnwi.org to register. Email email@example.com with questions. First practice is Tuesday, March 6!
1. The Highland Christian School Community Dinner is next Tuesday, March 6 from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the school gym. Come fellowship with students, teachers, parents, grandparents, and friends of HCS and enjoy some live music! Donations will be taken at the door. Please rsvp to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2.
1. The HCS Book Fair is scheduled for March 6-9. If you are willing to volunteer some of your time to help out, please contact Judy Zandstra, email@example.com.
1. Thursday, March 1 – Boys volleyball vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:15 p.m.
1. Countdown to Spring Break! There are only four TRIP order dates left before spring break (Mar. 1, 8, 15, 22). Are you traveling for spring break? Check out the shopwithscrip.com website to see what retailers are located near your vacation destination or on the way to it.
2. Voucher News: Mark Groen from McColly Real Estate has been added to the TRIP Voucher Program. If you are looking to buy or sell your home give Mark a call at 708-712-2507. He is offering a 10% bonus rebate on his net commission for a buyer or a seller. His office is located at 2000 45th St., in Highland.
3. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., Mar. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m.
4. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thurs., Mar. 1st by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Feb. 26): Jewel – 4%; Gap/Old Navy – 19%.
6. Next week’s Bonus Rebate: Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; Boston Market – 13%; Cabela’s – 11%; Carter’s/Osh Kosh – 10%; Lowe’s – 5%.
7. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Feb. 27th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
8. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Mar. 6; Team A – Mar. 13; Team B – Mar. 20; Team C – Mar. 27
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. Open the door to Illiana Christian High School. Parents and students are welcome! Meet with faculty and administration, observe live teaching, get a sneak peek of the musical, hear the latest about the new campus, and have all your questions answered. No pre-registration necessary. Please invite neighbors, friends, family, and anyone else to this great event! Any questions can be directed to Admissions Counselor Marie Limback at 708-474-0515 Ext. 49 or firstname.lastname@example.org.