PARENT NOTE – February 20, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
We often refer to HCS as a Professional Learning Community – a PLC. While this refers specifically to instructional and assessment practices, it also can be applied to us as adults. Friday was a day of learning for us as we explored ways to help our students switch from a fixed mindset (I can’t do this) to a growth mindset (I can’t do this yet, but I’ll keep trying.) This will be a good message as we head into ISTEPS next week!
1. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2018/2019 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
2. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2018/2019 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 14. If you have a kindergarten-age child for next year and are considering kindergarten at HCS, please contact the school office.
3. Please continue to send in your pop tabs in memory of Elena Poortenga. We are hoping to collect enough pop tabs to place another leaf with her on the tree at the Ronald McDonald House.
1. The HCS Book Fair is scheduled for March 6-9. If you are willing to volunteer some of your time to help out, please contact Judy Zandstra, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Wednesday, Feb. 21 – 8th Boys & Girls Illiana Basketball Tournament Round 1 at Illiana – boys @ 6:00, girls @ 7:00
Friday, Feb. 23 – 8th Boys & Girls Illiana Basketball Tournament Semi Finals – TBA
Saturday, Feb. 24 – 8th Boys & Girls Illiana Basketball Tournament Finals – TBA
1. Voucher News: Mark Groen from McColly Real Estate has been added to the TRIP Voucher Program. If you are looking to buy or sell your home give Mark a call at 708-712-2507. He is offering a 10% bonus rebate on his net commission for a buyer or a seller. His office is located at 2000 45th St., in Highland.
2. The next TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., Mar. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m.
3. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thurs., Feb. 22nd by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Feb. 20): Gap/Old Navy – 19%.
5. Next week’s Bonus Rebate: Jewel – 4%
6. Team B will be putting the TRIP orders together today. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office today at 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Feb. 27; Team D – Mar. 6; Team A – Mar. 13; Team B – Mar. 20
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. Open the door to Illiana Christian High School. Parents and students are welcome! Meet with faculty and administration, observe live teaching, get a sneak peek of the musical, hear the latest about the new campus, and have all your questions answered. No pre-registration necessary. Please invite neighbors, friends, family, and anyone else to this great event! Any questions can be directed to Admissions Counselor Marie Limback at 708-474-0515 Ext. 49 or email@example.com.
2. A day long prayer retreat for women of all ages is being held at Suburban Bible Church, 3010-41st St in Highland this Saturday, Feb. 24 from 9:00 am until 2:00 p.m. There is no cost and lunch will be provided. For more information, please contact Tia Koutz at 219-730-8931.