PARENT NOTE – February 12, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I hope you all enjoyed the extra time with your children this weekend – or at least had some extra help with shoveling. The upcoming weekend will also be long due to Friday’s In-service for teachers and Presidents Day on Monday. At the In-service, teachers will focus on an important topic called Growth Mindset. If you’d like to know what this is about, look for Angela Duckworth’s talk about Grit on YouTube. The purpose is to help students – and all of us- see the importance of effort.
1. Important Reminder: There is no school this Friday, Feb. 16 or Monday, Feb. 19.
2. The all-school skating party is this Thursday, Feb. 15 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Lynwood Sports Center, 2030 Glenwood-Dyer Road, Lynwood, IL. Admission is $3.50 and skates are available for $2.50. Parents and siblings are invited to join the HCS students for a fun-filled evening!
3. Please continue to send in your pop tabs in memory of Elena Poortenga. We are hoping to collect enough pop tabs to place another leaf with her on the tree at the Ronald McDonald House.
4. Girls on the Run: A pink interest form went home last week with all 3rd-5th grade girls. Please return this form by Thursday, February 16 so we can complete our team registration. You may also go directly to https://www.gotrofnwi.org/Register-Now to sign your daughter up. Please contact us if you have any questions or financial concerns. We want all of our HCS girls to be able to participate in this great experience! Contact Heather Schoon at 219-384-4678, email@example.com or Bridget DeYoung at 219-895-3328.
TRIP CASH & CARRY STORE
1. The TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., Feb. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. You must be registered with the TRIP program and come in person to buy gift cards. For those unable to purchase gift cards in person leave a message at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests will be processed the next school day.
Cards available to purchase: Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25,
Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Buca di Beppo Rest. $25, Buffalo Wild Wings $10, CVS $25,
Chick-fil-A $10, Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Domino’s $10, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25/$100, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, Home Depot $25, IHOP $10, iTunes $25, Jewel $25, Kohl’s $25/$100, Meijer $25/$50, Menard’s $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Speedway $25, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50, Subway $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
1. This Tuesday, Feb. 13 is sort night at etc for 2nd grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
2. Now Hiring! etc… Resale Shop in Schererville is looking for a results-driven manager to be responsible for the overall operation and success of the etc…Resale Marketplace. The successful candidate must enhance customer satisfaction, meet sales and profitability goals and manage staff and volunteers effectively. Candidates will have the most success if they have a background in retail management, recruitment and retention, and budget management. Ideally, the candidate will help increase sales and improve the operations of the store. Submit resumes via email to email@example.com. Resumes will not be accepted in person at the store. etc…Resale Shop is a non-profit resale shop. The primary goal of the non-profit is to raise money to support Highland Christian School.
1. This week is Book Week at HCS! This year’s theme is “Give Reading a Sporting Chance” (in honor of the Olympics!!)
• Monday – Reading is for Champions – Dress in gold (yellow), silver (grey) or bronze (brown) or anything sparkly!!
• Tuesday – Exercise your mind and Read – dress up as your favorite sports team
• Wednesday – Reading is Character Building – dress as your favorite book character
• Thursday – Reading “Rings” in Learning – wear one of the colors of the Olympic rings (blue, black, red, yellow, or green)
This week also involves Drop Everything And Read (D .E.A.R.) time so your students should have a book with them at all times every day next week. Let’s enjoy a week of reading (one of the best ways to increase academic performance).
1. Thursday, Feb. 15 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Crown Point – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
2. Illiana Varsity Cheerleaders are hosting stunt clinics open to 1st-8th graders. 1st-5th graders are invited to stunt with us today, February 12th from 4:30-6:30 pm. 6th-8th graders are invited to come on Tuesday, February, 13th from 4:30-6:30 pm. The clinics are free but you do need to register on our website: www.illianacheer.weebly.com Participants will learn proper stunting techniques as well as stunt with our cheerleaders. Come on out and have some fun with us!
1. The TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., Feb. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m.
2. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thursday, Feb. 15th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of Feb. 12): Chili’s – 15%.
4. Next week’s Bonus Rebate: Gap/Old Navy – 19%
5. Team A (Julie Sitter, Tori Smits, Lupe Morales, Cheryl Filler) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Feb. 13th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Feb. 20; Team C – Feb. 27; Team D – Mar. 6; Team A – Mar. 13
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. Open the door to Illiana Christian High School. Parents and students are welcome! Meet with faculty and administration, observe live teaching, get a sneak peek of the musical, hear the latest about the new campus, and have all your questions answered. No pre-registration necessary. Please invite neighbors, friends, family, and anyone else to this great event! Any questions can be directed to Admissions Counselor Marie Limback at 708-474-0515 Ext. 49 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Single mom with 2 teens looking for relatively close to Highland and affordable housing. Please contact Sarah (219)512-0020.