PARENT NOTE – February 5, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
We’re probably familiar with the phrase “dog days of summer.” How about the “dog days of winter?” If such a thing exists, it is the third quarter of the year. These can be challenging days for students – cold and dark with not as much time outside – Christmas is past and summer is a long way off! Personally, I enjoy this season, but I know not everyone does.
We are working hard here to keep your child motivated – and with MAPs just finished and ISTEPs running February 26th through March 8th, positive messages matter! Today, your children were given the results of their January MAPs tests. An explanation is on the back of the sheet – so watch for them coming home this week. You will find many opportunities to discuss with your child the learning they are showing – so please take a few minutes to encourage them. If you have questions, please contact your child’s teacher or me.
1. Important Reminder: This Wed., Feb. 7 is a late start. School will begin at 10:00.
2. A 6-week counseling group will be offered for children of divorcing or divorced parents and will be designed to help them process their emotions and learn coping skills to manage their feelings. The group will begin February 13 and be held during the school day within the 11:00 hour, every Tuesday through March 20. If you are interested in your child attending the group, please request a counseling permission slip from your child’s teacher, to be returned no later than February 6. If you have any questions about the group, you may contact Kelsee Kirk at 708-845-5500 ext. 156. Please note that in order to provide the most effective therapeutic services; the group will be limited to 3-4 students of similar ages. Upon receiving permission slips, Kelsee will contact you to indicate whether or not your child will be able to participate at this time.
3. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2018/2019 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
4. Magazine Fund Raiser: Anyone can order or renew magazines at any time and the school will receive 40%. Just order magazine(s) and other items online at www.GAschoolstore.com and use the school code 2497394. Click SHOP NOW. Enter school code 2497394. At “selecting student,” choose “skip this step.” Then enjoy your online shopping.
5. Is anyone in trouble or sick? Is anyone in need or afraid? Is anyone struggling to be a good mom, loving wife, or faithful friend? If you are having difficulties, come pray with other women who struggle greatly, and who desperately need the Lord. Women’s Prayer Group meets 8:30 a.m. every Friday that school is in session in the HCS conference room.
6. The all-school skating party is next Thursday, Feb. 15 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at Lynwood Sports Center, 2030 Glenwood-Dyer Road, Lynwood, IL. Admission is $3.50 and skates are available for $2.50. Parents and siblings are invited to join the HCS students for a fun-filled evening!
1. Auditions for Aladdin, Jr. will be held on Tuesday, February 6 and Wednesday, February 7 from 3:20 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. Auditions on Tuesday will be held in the preschool room and auditions on Wednesday will be in the band room. Interested junior high students should sign up for their 10-minute time slot outside the band room. You must come prepared! All audition information is posted in OnCampus on the Aladdin, Jr. Resource Board. Contact Mr. Rinkenberger or Mrs. van Belle with questions. First rehearsal will be Monday, February 12 from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. Performances will be on May 10 & 11.
1. Book Week is February 12-16. This year’s theme is “Give Reading a Sporting Chance” (in honor of the Olympics!!)
• Monday – Reading is for Champions – Dress in gold (yellow), silver (grey) or Bronze (brown) or anything sparkly!!
• Tuesday – Exercise your mind and Read – dress up with your favorite sports team
• Wednesday – Reading is Character Building – dress as your favorite book Character
• Thursday – Reading “Rings” in Learning – Wear one of the colors of the Olympic rings (blue, black, red, yellow, or green)
This week also involves Drop Everything And Read (D .E.A.R.) Time so your students need to have a book with them at all times every day next week. Let’s enjoy a week of reading (one of the best ways to increase academic performance).
1. Save the date! Tuesday, March 6 will be the HCS Community Dinner. Please plan on attending and fellowship with students, faculty, parents, grandparents, and friends of HCS. More details to come.
1. Next Tuesday, Feb. 13 is sort night at etc for 2nd grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
2. Now Hiring! etc… Resale Shop in Schererville is looking for a results-driven manager to be responsible for the overall operation and success of the etc…Resale Marketplace. The successful candidate must enhance customer satisfaction, meet sales and profitability goals and manage staff and volunteers effectively. Candidates will have the most success if they have a background in retail management, recruitment and retention, and budget management. Ideally, the candidate will help increase sales and improve the operations of the store. Submit resumes via email to email@example.com. Resumes will not be accepted in person at the store. etc…Resale Shop is a non-profit resale shop. The primary goal of the non-profit is to raise money to support Highland Christian School.
1. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thursday, Feb. 8th by 10 a.m.
2. The next Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs., Feb. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. at the TRIP office. Look in next week’s Parent Note for gift cards and their denominations available to buy at the store.
3. Current Bonus Rebates – week of Feb. 5: Landry’s Rest. – 9%.
4. Team D (Shelly Witham, Linda Balkema, Amy Yonkman) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Feb. 6th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Feb. 13; Team B – Feb. 20; Team C – Feb. 27; Team D – Mar. 6
1. Monday, Feb. 5 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Tuesday, Feb. 6 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. DeMotte – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Feb. 8 – 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Lansing – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
Saturday, Feb. 10 – 6th Girls Basketball Tournament at HCS – HCS 6th girls play at 9:00 a.m.
2. Illiana Varsity Cheerleaders are hosting stunt clinics open to 1st-8th graders. 1st-5th graders are invited to stunt with us on Monday, February 12th from 4:30-6:30 pm. 6th-8th graders are invited to come on Tuesday, February, 13th from 4:30-6:30 pm. The clinics are free but you do need to register on our website: www.illianacheer.weebly.com Participants will learn proper stunting techniques as well as stunt with our cheerleaders. Come on out and have some fun with us!
1. PREVIEW ILLIANA: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, at 7:00 p.m. Open the door to Illiana Christian High School. Parents and students are welcome! Meet with faculty and administration, observe live teaching, get a sneak peek of the musical, hear the latest about the new campus, and have all your questions answered. No pre-registration necessary. Please invite neighbors, friends, family, and anyone else to this great event! Any questions can be directed to Admissions Counselor Marie Limback at 708-474-0515 Ext. 49 or firstname.lastname@example.org.