PARENT NOTE – January 29, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
How do you do your work when you’re under stress? While research shows that a certain amount of stress is necessary to get something accomplished, too much stress leads to diminished productivity. Or to put it in school terms, too much stress negatively impacts learning. While there are many stressors in students’ lives today, family stress can be very impactful. Here at HCS, we have two excellent counseling interns from the Chicago Christian Counseling Center here each week. One of the counselors, Kelsee Kirk, will be running a group to help children deal with divorce. Please respond to the note below if your child would benefit from this experience. Another stressor in the lives of our students is constant exposure to technology. Have you put May 1 on your calendar yet for Chris McKenna of Protect Young Eyes? You’ll be glad you did!
1. A 6-week counseling group will be offered for children of divorcing or divorced parents and will be designed to help them process their emotions and learn coping skills to manage their feelings. The group will begin February 13 and be held during the school day within the 11:00 hour, every Tuesday through March 20. If you are interested in your child attending the group, please request a counseling permission slip from your child’s teacher, to be returned no later than February 6. If you have any questions about the group, you may contact Kelsee Kirk at 708-845-5500 ext. 156. Please note that in order to provide the most effective therapeutic services; the group will be limited to 3-4 students of similar ages. Upon receiving permission slips, Kelsee will contact you to indicate whether or not your child will be able to participate at this time.
2. HCS Preview Day is this Friday, Feb. 2 from 1:30-3:00 p.m. If you know of anyone interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them or have them contact the school office at 219-838-0356.
3. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2018/2019 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
4. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2018/2019 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 14 (please note date change). Current families: If you have a kindergarten child for next year, please complete the online form that was emailed to you last week, to register your child for kindergarten screening. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
5. Everyone is invited to the All-School Gifts Assembly this Thursday, Feb. 1 at 8:40 a.m. in the school gym.
6. Is anyone in trouble or sick? Is anyone in need or afraid? Is anyone struggling to be a good mom, loving wife, or faithful friend? If you are having difficulties, come pray with other women who struggle greatly, and who desperately need the Lord. Women’s Prayer Group meets 8:30 a.m. every Friday that school is in session in the HCS conference room.
1. Thursday, Feb. 1 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Monday, Feb. 5 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Crown Point – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thursday, Feb. 1st by 10 a.m.
2. The next Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs., Feb. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. at the TRIP office.
3. Current Bonus Rebates – week of Jan. 29: JCPenney – 6%; Shutterfly – 11%; TGI Fridays – 9%.
4. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Jan. 30th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Feb. 6; Team A – Feb. 13; Team B – Feb. 20; Team C – Feb. 27
1. You are invited to a Princess Brunch sponsored by Pathway Church benefiting Mommy’s Haven, a non-profit residence for pregnant women in need that is currently in the final stages of building their first home in Lowell, Indiana! The Princess Brunch will be on Saturday, February 10 at Crown Point Christian School, 10550 Park Place, Crown Point, Indiana (in the Gates of St. John subdivision). Invite your daughters, granddaughters and friends to join us for a special two hour time of hair braiding, nails, face glitter, tea party, coloring, craft making, photo booth, all you can eat brunch and meeting of special guests: Cinderella, Belle, and Moana! Two sessions will be offered: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon and 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for each child and $5 for each accompanying adult. Everyone is invited to dress up and wear their favorite princess costume. Tickets are on sale now and may be purchased at: www.pathwaycrc.org/PrincessBrunch.
2. HIGHLAND LITTLE LEAGUE is available to both boys and girls. Players must be age 4 by August 31st, 2018 and must reside in Highland or ATTEND A SCHOOL IN HIGHLAND. 2018 registration dates are 1/20, 2/3, 2/17 and 3/3 from 10am – 2pm at the Lincoln Center. You can also register online at HighlandLL.com
3. Get outdoors, play hard, meet amazing counselors, make great friends, and know that you are loved by a God who is greater than you can imagine. In addition to Camp Roger’s 4 and 8 day Overnight Camps and Wilderness Trips, a Day Camp program is being offered at our Camp Scottie campus. Summer Camp registration is now open. For more information, pricing, and availability please go to our website, CampRoger.org.