PARENT NOTE – January 22, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
If you have followed the changes at Highland Christian over the last couple of years, you have seen us embrace technology to enhance student learning. The 1:1 program of MacBooks for the Junior High and the classroom sets of IPads for K-5 have provided opportunities for whole class instruction, instruction targeted to students’ individual needs, assessment and collaboration. While we continue to integrate technology here at HCS, we want to help you and your children do so responsibly. One way we do this is by teaching digital citizenship. Also, for the last two years we have had Chris McKenna of Protect Young Eyes speak to students and parents. I’m glad to let you know that Chris will be back this year on May 1st. So please mark down this date – you’ll be glad you did.
1. Highland Christian School’s Preschool & Kindergarten Open House is this evening, January 22 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. If you know of anyone interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them.
2. Highland Christian School is now accepting 2018/2019 preschool registrations for Sonshine Enrichment Center. If you are considering an early learning opportunity for your 3, 4, or 5 year old child and would like more information, please contact the school office or register online at www.highlandchristian.org using the preschool drop-down tab.
3. Kindergarten Readiness Day for the 2018/2019 school year is scheduled for Wednesday, March 14 (please note date change). Current families: If you have a kindergarten child for next year, please complete the online form that will be emailed to you this week, to register your child for kindergarten screening. Your child’s scheduled time will be sent to you along with other information by the end of February.
4. The Art Department is still in need of newspapers. In addition, if you could please send in empty plastic containers with lids, such as butter, sour cream, or cool whip, we can use them to mix paint. Thank you, in advance, for supporting the art program!
5. Clothing Drive for etc. Help support etc… thrift store by bringing bags of clothing to HCS.
• Who: all students
• When: January 17-31
• Where: HCS
• How: Label your bag with your child’s homeroom and bring the clothes to the classroom.
Leadership students will collect the bags and weigh them and a there will be a PRIZE given for the class with the greatest amount (weight) of clothing.
6. Parents & friends of our 3rd-5th grade girls, have you heard about Girls on the Run? Highland Christian is so excited to announce our 3rd season of GOTR! We’re looking for a Head Coach and Assistant Coaches who are energetic, encouraging and have a passion for building confidence in our girls. This is so much more than a running program! Not a runner? No worries! You can learn to run along with the team, or you can walk or help with our curriculum and behind the scenes projects! Please contact Heather Schoon, 219-384-4678 or email@example.com, or Bridget DeYoung, 219-895-3328 for more information! Season 3 kicks off on Tuesday, March 6 at 3:15. Meetings are held every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:15 – 4:30PM until the Highland 5K on May 19! Registration for the girls opens soon!
1. Tuesday, January 23 – 8th girls & boys vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
2. Reminder for Parents: We welcome fans to our games, but if your child is not on the team, you need to stay with them at the game.
1. This is the last week to earn tuition credit for your February tuition statement. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thursday, Jan. 25th by 10 a.m.
2. The next Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs., Feb. 15th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. at the TRIP office.
3. Current Bonus Rebates – week of Jan. 22: JCPenney – 6%; Shutterfly – 11%; TGI Fridays – 9%; The Home Depot – 6%.
4. Team B (Kathie Fulton, Lisa Long, Suzanne Van Ek, Amy Jellema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Jan. 23rd. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office Tuesday at 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Jan. 30; Team D – Feb. 6; Team A – Feb. 13; Team B – Feb. 20
1. You are invited to a Princess Brunch sponsored by Pathway Church benefiting Mommy’s Haven, a non-profit residence for pregnant women in need that is currently in the final stages of building their first home in Lowell, Indiana! The Princess Brunch will be on Saturday, February 10 at Crown Point Christian School, 10550 Park Place, Crown Point, Indiana (in the Gates of St. John subdivision). Invite your daughters, granddaughters and friends to join us for a special two hour time of hair braiding, nails, face glitter, tea party, coloring, craft making, photo booth, all you can eat brunch and meeting of special guests: Cinderella, Belle, and Moana! Two sessions will be offered: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon and 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for each child and $5 for each accompanying adult. Everyone is invited to dress up and wear their favorite princess costume. Tickets are on sale now and may be purchased at: www.pathwaycrc.org/PrincessBrunch.
2. HIGHLAND LITTLE LEAGUE is available to both boys and girls. Players must be age 4 by August 31st, 2018 and must reside in Highland or ATTEND A SCHOOL IN HIGHLAND. 2018 registration dates are 1/20, 2/3, 2/17 and 3/3 from 10am – 2pm at the Lincoln Center. You can also register online at HighlandLL.com