PARENT NOTE – January 16, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Earlier this year we recognized Martin Luther as we celebrated the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. It was stunning how many of the things he said in the early 16th century relate to our world! This week, we turn to another Martin Luther – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and during morning announcements will be reflecting on his wisdom. He said “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” What I learn from this is that my goal is not perfection – my goal is growth. Over the next couple of weeks students will be taking their second round of MAPs. Earlier this year we sent you the results of the fall assessments along with spring goals. The January testing is a mid-year opportunity for all of us to measure growth toward their goals. We are grateful for the technology that our students now have which allows them to take these assessments in their own classrooms on the devices that they use every day. It is exciting to see students take ownership of their learning and celebrate their own growth!
On another note, today marks the half-way point of 2017-18 and the beginning of our third quarter. Thanks for all of your prayers, support and encouragement as together we strive to raise students who are academically equipped, biblically grounded and spiritually nurtured to impact the world for Christ.
1. Looking for a Christian preschool or kindergarten experience? Your child will blossom at Highland Christian School! We invite you to join us for our PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN OPEN HOUSE next Monday, January 22 from 6:30-8:00pm. Through hands-on discovery, teacher led instruction and small group activities, your child will develop new skills, build positive relationships and grow in character as they build their knowledge of God’s world and His Word. Learn more about the curriculum, classroom practices, and learning communities at Highland Christian School (PreK-Gr8), 3040 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN. For more information, visit www.highlandchristian.org or contact Jodi at 219-838-0356 ext. #165.
2. The following thank you for our Thanksgiving gifts was received from Roseland Christian Ministries:
“Friends at Highland Christian School,
Thank you for the many gifts that you gave this Thanksgiving. We were able to show the love of God with so many people. Thank you!”
3. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel this Thursday, Jan. 18 at 8:40 a.m. led by the 5th grade.
4. The Art Department is still in need of newspapers. In addition, if you could please send in empty plastic containers with lids, such as butter, sour cream, or cool whip, we can use them to mix paint. Thank you, in advance, for supporting the art program!
5. If you need to contact the bus drivers while they are on their route, please do not call the driver’s cell phone. Please call HCS before 4:00 ext. 151 or after 4:00 ext. 152 to speak with someone in the office. They will be able to contact the driver.
6. Clothing Drive for etc. Help support etc… thrift store by bringing bags of clothing to HCS.
• Who: all students
• When: January 17-31
• Where: HCS
• How: Label your bag with your child’s homeroom and bring the clothes to the classroom.
Leadership students will collect the bags and weigh them and a there will be a PRIZE given for the class with the greatest amount (weight) of clothing.
1. Reminder: If you signed up for Bunco Night, it’s this Friday, January 19 from 6:30 – 8:00 in the school gym. If you still would like to attend, please rsvp to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Congratulations to the following finalists in the National Geography Bee:
• 4th grade – Nick Neibert, Kendrall Green
• 5th grade – Armaan Sen, Wyatt Bussema
• 6th grade – Micah Jones, Sophia Oostema
• 7th grade – Arie DeYoung, Byron Rideaux
• 8th grade – Brynn McGuffey, Max Meter
On January 25, we will have a National Geography Bee Final in the gym. We will choose a winner from these 10 contestants. Congratulations! We are looking forward to our final competition.
1. This Thursday, January 18 is sort night at etc for 3rd grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
1. Tuesday, Jan. 16 – 6th girls, 8th girls & 8th boys vs. Lansing – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
2. Reminder for Parents: We welcome fans to our games, but if your child is not on the team, you need to stay with them at the game.
1. The second quarter for TRIP tuition earnings will be ending Jan. 26. Tuition earning credits will show on your February tuition statement.
2. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thursday, Jan. 18th by 10 a.m.
3. Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs., Jan. 18th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. at the TRIP office. You must be registered with the TRIP program and come in person to buy gift cards. For those unable to purchase gift cards in person contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 to leave a message or email at email@example.com. Requests will be processed the following day.
4. Cash & Carry Store cards available to purchase Jan. 18th: Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Buca di Beppo Rest. $25, Buffalo Wild Wings $10/$25, CVS $25, Cabela’s $25, Chick-fil-A $10,Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Domino’s $10, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25/$100, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, Home Depot $25, IHOP $10, iTunes $25, Jewel $25, Kohl’s $25/$100, Meijer $25/$50, Menard’s $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Potbelly $10, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Speedway $25/$100, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50, Subway $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
5. Team A (Julie Sitter, Lupe Morales, Cheryl Filler, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP orders together today. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office today at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Jan. 23; Team C – Jan. 30; Team D – Feb. 6; Team A – Feb. 13
1. Griffith First United Methodist Church is hosting a community information session on Suicide Signs and Prevention on Thursday, Jan. 18th at 7 p.m. (6:45 p.m. coffee will be served) This program is being presented by the Samaritan Counseling Center. The church is located at 400 W 44th Place (across from the Strack & Van Til grocery store on Cline Ave.) in Griffith.
2. You are invited to a Princess Brunch sponsored by Pathway Church benefiting Mommy’s Haven, a non-profit residence for pregnant women in need that is currently in the final stages of building their first home in Lowell, Indiana! The Princess Brunch will be on Saturday, February 10 at Crown Point Christian School, 10550 Park Place, Crown Point, Indiana (in the Gates of St. John subdivision). Invite your daughters, granddaughters and friends to join us for a special two hour time of hair braiding, nails, face glitter, tea party, coloring, craft making, photo booth, all you can eat brunch and meeting of special guests: Cinderella, Belle, and Moana! Two sessions will be offered: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon and 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for each child and $5 for each accompanying adult. Everyone is invited to dress up and wear their favorite princess costume. Tickets are on sale now and may be purchased at: www.pathwaycrc.org/PrincessBrunch.
3. HIGHLAND LITTLE LEAGUE is available to both boys and girls. Players must be age 4 by August 31st, 2018 and must reside in Highland or ATTEND A SCHOOL IN HIGHLAND. 2018 registration dates are 1/20, 2/3, 2/17 and 3/3 from 10am – 2pm at the Lincoln Center. You can also register online at HighlandLL.com