PARENT NOTE – January 8, 2018
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Welcome back to the second half of 2017-18! In announcements this morning, I reminded students of our theme for this year, “Go the extra mile.” It’s good to remind ourselves, that sometimes even going the first mile takes effort – but, I learned this summer that effort matters. Angela Duckworth, famous for her work on “grit” says this: “Talent times Effort = Skill and Skill times Effort = Achievement.” Did you notice that effort is in there twice? Both here at school and at home, we need to keep reminding our students that achievement is not a result of “being smart”, no matter what your ability, achievement is a result of our effort. This is known as “Growth Mindset”, and growth is what we are all looking for – so may 2018 be a year of great growth – spiritually, academically and socially for everyone at HCS!
1. The faculty and staff of Highland Christian would like to thank all of our HCS families for the wonderful goodies, gifts, and Christmas wishes this holiday season. What a blessing to be part of our HCS community! We pray that you had a joyous Christmas season!
2. Reminder: There is no school next Monday, Jan. 15 in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
3. If your child had previously been a bus rider on Mrs. Kelby’s #3 bus route and is now riding on Mrs. Wilcox’s #5 route, please leave all call off messages on Mrs. Wilcox’s ext. #170 before 6:30 in the morning.
4. Looking for a Christian preschool or kindergarten experience? Your child will blossom at Highland Christian School! We invite you to join us for our PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN OPEN HOUSE on Monday, January 22, 2018 (6:30-8:00pm). Through hands-on discovery, teacher led instruction and small group activities, your child will develop new skills, build positive relationships and grow in character as they build their knowledge of God’s world and His Word. Learn more about the curriculum, classroom practices, and learning communities at Highland Christian School (PreK-Gr8), 3040 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN. For more information, visit www.highlandchristian.org or contact Jodi at 219-838-0356 ext. #165.
1. Next Thursday, January 18 is sort night at etc for 3rd grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
1. Tuesday, Jan. 9 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Oak Lawn – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Jan. 11 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Calvin – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Friday, Jan. 12 – 6th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Calvary Academy – AWAY – 4:00, 4:45, 6:00
1. TRIP orders are due (paper and online orders) on Thursday, Jan. 11th by 10 a.m.
2. The next Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be on Thurs. Jan. 18th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. at the TRIP office. You must be registered with the TRIP program and come in person to buy gift cards. Gift cards available for purchase will be posted in next week’s Parent Note. For those unable to purchase gift cards in person contact the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 to leave a message or email at email@example.com. Requests will be processed the following day.
3. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Jan. 16; Team B – Jan. 23; Team C – Jan. 30; Team D – Feb. 6
1. Illiana Christian High School is hosting Junior High Night this Friday, January 12. The varsity boys’ basketball game is at 7:30 p.m. and starting at 7:00 p.m. the first 50 7th and 8th grade students will receive a free T-shirt and sunglasses at the gate. Wear your red, white and blue! Contact Marie Limback with questions at 708-474-0515 x49. Come for Loud Crowd stay for Praise Crowd.
2. You are invited to Pathway Church’s Wild Game and Fish Dinner Potluck on Wednesday, January 10 at 6:00 p.m. at Crown Point Christian School, 10550 Park Place, St. John, Indiana (in the Gates subdivision). The potluck will be followed by a Live Animal Show from Silly Safaris! We’ll have a variety of wild game and fish for you to enjoy. We’ll also have some “normal” food if you like to play it safe. Please bring a dish to share, either wild or safe! If you have any pictures of 2017 fish and game catches for display on our “trophy board,” please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please visit http://pathwaycrc.org/.