PARENT NOTE – December 18, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE HCS SCHOOL BOARD
As we approach Christmas and the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, the members of the Highland Christian School Board would like to wish you, your family, our faculty and staff and the HCS Community a blessed Christmas. Our prayer is that the Holy Spirit will work in your heart the awe and wonder that we should feel as we think about the fact that God loved us so much that even while we were enemies He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us in order that we might be reconciled to Him. May that demonstration of God’s love so overwhelm us this Christmas that we are left in awe and wonder and with a renewed determination to live our lives for Him.
God has richly blessed HCS. We are moving forward with the integration of technology into the K-8 curriculum and the enhancement of the learning experience as a result. Technology itself can, of course, accomplish nothing. We are thankful for the hard work of our faculty as they integrate technology into their lesson plans and we are thankful for our parents as you work with your students.
At HCS, providing a high quality education to our students is an important goal, but it is not our only goal. Faith formation is an important aspect of education at HCS. It is important for each of us to translate our faith from a “head” faith to a “heart” faith. We have worked hard on this during the past months. If you read the weekly newsletters and the School Bell, you have seen the various projects and activities designed to involve our students in living out their faith. This is led by our Principal, Bob Payne and our faculty and is supported by your work with your children.
During this Christmas season, challenge yourselves and your children to overcome the fog of familiarity that can cloud our vision of the Incarnate Christ simply because we have experienced it so many times. In his advent devotional, Come Let Us Adore Him, Paul David Tripp speaks of the danger that familiarity will rob us of the wonder of, “the stunningly, magnificent events and truths of the birth of Jesus” and we will take the Incarnation for granted.
As a Board, it is our prayer that you and your family will be moved to worship by the “mind-boggling, hard-to-grasp, awesome story [that is] unlike any other story ever told”. With you we pray that we may worship and adore our Savior, Christ the Lord.
1. Important Reminder: School will dismiss this Friday, Dec. 22 at 1:45 p.m. for the Christmas holiday and will resume on Monday, Jan. 8. We pray that our HCS families have a wonderful Christmas and a blessed New Year! Please note: There is no aftercare on this day.
2. Christmas Concert: This Thursday, Dec. 21 at 7:00 p.m. the Beginning Band and Junior High Band and Choir will present their annual Christmas Concert. Please come and share this special evening with us, as we rejoice in the birth of our Savior!
3. Everyone is invited to the Christmas Chapel this Friday, Dec. 22 at 8:40 a.m.
4. Reminder of New Indiana Busing Law: If your child is currently riding the bus but did not turn five years old by August 1 of this year, please remember that he/she can no longer ride the bus to or from school beginning on January 1.
1. Christmas Concert Information: The Beginning Band students should meet in the art room at 6:30 p.m. this Thursday, Dec. 21 and Junior High Band students should meet in the music room at 6:30 p.m. Choir students should be in the bleachers by 6:30 p.m.
2. Attention 5th Grade Parents: This is just a reminder that the Christmas Concert is this Thurs., Dec. 21. Please make sure that your son/daughter has the following for their uniform:
-Black Dress Shoes
-Black Dress Socks
-Black Dress Pants
-White Dress Shirt
-Plain White T-Shirt (no colors or writing should be visible through the dress shirt)
1. Wednesday, Dec. 20 – 8th girls & boys vs. Oak Lawn – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00
1. No TRIP orders due this week. The next TRIP orders due will be January 11, 2018. Over the Christmas break those registered with the shopwithscrip.com program may order Scrip Now, Reload and Reload Now gift certificates using the website’s PrestoPay option. If you are looking for Cash & Carry gift cards before Jan. 11th call the TRIP office at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 to leave a message or email, firstname.lastname@example.org and a TRIP volunteer will get back to you.
2. TRIP Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs. Dec. 21st from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. at the TRIP office. You must be registered with the TRIP program and come in person to buy gift cards.
3. Cash & Carry Store cards available to purchase Dec. 21st: Amazon.com $10/$25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Buca di Beppo Rest. $25, Buffalo Wild Wings $10/$25, CVS $25, Cabela’s $25, Chick-fil-A $10,Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Domino’s $10, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25/$100, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hohman Floral $10, Home Depot $25, IHOP $10, iTunes $25, Jewel $25, Kohl’s $25/$100, Lane Bryant $25, Meijer $25/$50, Menard’s $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panera Bread $10, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Potbelly’s $10, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Speedway $25/$100, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50, Subway $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10.
4. Team D (Shelly Witham, Amy Yonkman, Tracy Bandstra, Linda Balkema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Dec. 19th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Jan. 16; Team B – Jan. 23; Team C – Jan. 30; Team D – Feb. 6
Have a Merry Christmas!