PARENT NOTE – December 11, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Below you will read about our opportunity to give this Christmas Season – thank you Mrs. Huizenga and the Junior High Leadership Team for helping HCS students grow in understanding what it means to impact the world for Christ.
Warm clothes – Parents: The cold weather has arrived. We value the opportunity that students have to spend time outside each day but they need to be appropriately dressed. Please be sure to follow the expectations for your child’s grade level for outdoor clothing – including hats, glove, boots and snowpants.
1. Important Calendar Update: School will dismiss on Friday, Dec. 22 at 1:45 p.m. Please Note: There is no aftercare on this day.
2. World Renew GAP Gifts:
“I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap. . . but I found no one.” Ezekiel 22:30
In Ezekiel’s day, God was looking for a faithful person to repair the wall around the city of Jerusalem so that the Israelites would be saved from destruction. God was looking for a person to “stand in the gap,” to fix the parts of Israel that were broken. World Renew 2017-18 gifts are a way to “stand in the gap” on behalf of people who face oppression and poverty. Each duck, seed, and handwashing station can repair harm and help build people’s lives. Praying for and helping others is the stuff that hold us together as followers of Jesus Christ. What will you give to help fill in the gap?
STEP 1: Choose a gift tag from the giving tree set up near the front entrance.
STEP 2: Fill in the back of the gift tag with the amount you plan to give.
STEP 3: Put your money or check (payable to World Renew) in an envelope or box. Gift wrap the box or put a bow on the envelope.
STEP 4: Bring the envelopes or boxes back to school. We will present our gifts at the Christmas chapel on Friday, December 22.
NOTE: If you want to give a donation and do not care what it purchases, please send in the money or check and we will distribute the money between the gifts.
QUESTIONS: Contact Vicki Huizenga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-838-0356 ext. 134
3. Reminder of New Indiana Busing Law: If your child is currently riding the bus but did not turn five years old by August 1 of this year, please remember that he/she can no longer ride the bus to or from school beginning on January 1.
4. Homemade vanilla ($2.00 for an 8oz. bottle) is for sale in the HCS office for all of your holiday baking.
1. Tuesday, Dec. 12 – 8th girls & 8th boys vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00
Thursday, Dec. 14 – 8th girls & 8th boys vs. Calvary Academy – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
Saturday, Dec. 16 – 7th Girls Basketball Tournament at DeMotte Christian Elementary School – TBA
7th Boys Basketball Tournament at Covenant Christian High School – TBA
1. TRIP program Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be this Thurs. Dec. 14th from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. at the TRIP office. You must be registered with the TRIP program and come in person to buy gift cards. The next Cash & Carry Store will be on Dec. 21st. Call 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email, email@example.com for more information.
2. Cash & Carry Store cards available to purchase Dec. 14th: Amazon.com $25/$100, AMC Movie Theatres $25, Applebee’s $25, Baker’s Square $25, Bath & Body Works $10/$25, Buca di Beppo Rest. $25, Buffalo Wild Wings $10/$25, CVS $25, Cabela’s $25, Chick-fil-A $10,Chili’s $25, Chipotle $10, Cracker Barrel $10, Culver’s $10, Dairy Queen $10, Disney $25, Domino’s $10, Dunkin Donuts $10, Family Express $25/$100, Gap/Old Navy $25, Gordon’s $25, Hair Cuttery $10, Hohman Floral $10, Home Depot $25, IHOP $10, iTunes $25, Jewel $25, Kohl’s $25/$100, Lane Bryant $25, Meijer $25/$50, Menard’s $25/$100, Miner Dunn Rest. $5, Olive Garden $25, Outback $25, Panda Express $25, Panera Bread $10, Papa John’s Pizza $10, Potbelly’s $10, Red Lobster $25, Red Robin $25, Sanfratello’s $20, Speedway $25/$100, Starbucks $10, Strack & Van Til Grocery $25/$50, Subway $10, Target $25, Teibel’s $25, TGI Fridays $25, Walgreens $25, Walmart/Sam’s Club $25/$50, Walt’s $25/$100, Wendy’s $10, Holiday Gift card Wrappers $2.
3. There is only 1 TRIP order left for you to order gift cards before Christmas (Dec. 14)!
4. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment on Thursday, Dec. 14th by 10 a.m.
5. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 12/11): Domino’s – 10%; Gap/Old Navy – 19%; Lord & Taylor – 11%; Sally Beauty Supply – 13%; American Eagle – 11%; Bass Pro Shops – 12%; CVS Pharmacy – 7%; Landry’s Rest. – 10%; Lowe’s – 5%; Red Robin – 10%; The Home Depot – 6%; Petsmart- 8%; Starbuck’s – 9%.
6. Team C (Tina Hoeksema, April Vander Meyden, Laura McDonald, Amanda Porter) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Dec. 12th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team D – Dec. 19; Team A – Jan. 16; Team B – Jan. 23; Team C – Jan. 30
1. Thorn Creek Reformed Church’s GEMS group has put together a cookbook filled with over 300 recipes. If interested in purchasing a copy to support their GEMS group, please contact Holly Haitsma (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-227-6308). Cookbooks sell for $10.00.