PARENT NOTE – December 4, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
Even though Thanksgiving marks the “gateway” to the holiday season, we are enjoying three more full weeks of school till Christmas. At conferences, I know everyone received information about IXL and the math help it offers students. Here’s the thing, at some point everyone needs help with math. Your child may need it to close gaps from prior years, or to move ahead of her class, or maybe because he does not have a firm grasp on basic math facts. Whatever it is, IXL is like having a private tutor, and it specifically targets areas where your child can grow. If you have lost your login information or just need help getting started, contact Mrs. Musch if your child is in junior high, or your child’s classroom teacher. Math is the M in STEM, and skills in this area are important to your child’s education.
While we know that Christmas has many different elements, at school, during our morning announcement times together, for the time between now and Christmas we will be answering the question “Why did Jesus come to earth?”. I hope you have a blessed week.
1. Reminder: This Wed., Dec. 6 is a late start. School will begin at 10:00 on this day.
2. Important Calendar Update: School will dismiss on Friday, Dec. 22 at 1:45 p.m.
3. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel this Thursday at 8:40 a.m. featuring the Illiana Praise Crowd.
4. Amazon Smile donates 0.5% to Highland Christian: Your purchase at AmazonSmile will earn Highland Christian School great rewards! AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to Highland Christian School when you select us as your charitable organization. HCS is listed as the Association for Christian Instruction. Please remember to “SMILE” when shopping Amazon.
5. Office Depot “Give Back to Schools”: Every time schools, teachers, students, parents and school supporters give a school’s 5% Back to Schools Program ID number 70036301 when shopping at Office Depot, that school will receive credits equal to 5% of the qualifying purchases to use for free supplies. If you don’t have the ID number with you, try offering the school phone number (838-0356). They may be able to confirm it with the Business Manager’s name, Roberta Huitsing.
1. Congratulations to the junior high spelling bee winners. The sixth grade top spellers were Kayla DuPuy, Hayden Gorham, Isaac Sherwood, Janna vanBelle, and Gram VanderWoude. Seventh grade finalists were Jaedyn Long, Byron Rideaux, Priya Sen, Ryan Smith, and Audrey Yonkman. The top eighth graders were Max Meter, Eli McGuffey, Olivia Oostema, Elena Parodi, Aubrey Porter, and Thijs vanBelle. The final school spelling bee will be held in December and the winner will be representing Highland Christian School at the Lake/Porter competition.
1. Monday, Dec. 4 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. DeMotte – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Tuesday, Dec. 5 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Lansing – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Thursday, Dec. 7 – 6th & 7th boys vs. Tinley Park – HOME – 4:00, 5:00
7th girls, 8th girls, 8th boys vs. Tinley Park – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
1. TRIP program Cash & Carry Gift Card Store will be December 14 and 21 from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and 2:30 to 3 p.m. You must be registered with the TRIP program to participate in the cash & carry store! Gift cards available for purchase on Dec. 14 will be listed in next week’s Parent Note. Call 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email, email@example.com for more information.
2. There are only 2 TRIP orders left for you to order gift cards before Christmas (Dec. 7 & 14)!
3. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment on Thursday, Dec. 7th by 10 a.m.
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 12/4): American Eagle – 11%; Bass Pro Shops – 12%; CVS Pharmacy – 7%; Landry’s Rest. – 10%; Lowe’s – 5%; Red Robin – 10%; The Home Depot – 6%; Bob Evans – 11%; Carter’s/Osh Kosh – 10%; Meijer – 5%; Petsmart- 8%; Starbuck’s – 8%.
5. Next Week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 12/11): Gap/Old Navy – 19%; Domino’s – 10%.
6. Team B (Kathi Fulton, Lisa Long, Suzanne Van Ek, Amy Jellema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Dec. 5th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
7. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Dec. 12; Team D – Dec. 19; Team A – Jan. 16; Team B – Jan. 23
1. Birthday Party for Jesus Open House – December 7th at Wicker Park Social Center, 2215 Ridge Rd., Highland, IN for North Township children, accompanies by a parent or guardian.
Preschool ages from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. will see a reenactment of Christ’s birth, pizza lunch, games, cookie decorating and music.
Grades K-5 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. will hear the Christmas story, pizza, games, cookie decorating and face painting.
The event is free! If you are able, just like a party for a friend, bring a gift in the form of socks (adult or kids), or hygiene items.
2. HCS student, Cavin Porter, is holding a Diaper/Wipe Drive for Nazareth Home (foster home in East Chicago, IN). If anyone is interested in donating diapers, pull ups, wipes, laundry soap, fabric softener, dishwasher pods, lotions, shampoos, or any other baby item, please contact Cavin’s mom, Candice at (219) 712-8616 or dad, Carl at (219) 545-5316. They will be accepting items until the last week of December.
3. Thorn Creek Reformed Church’s GEMS group has put together a cookbook filled with over 300 recipes. If interested in purchasing a copy to support their GEMS group, please contact Holly Haitsma (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-227-6308). Cookbooks sell for $10.00.