PARENT NOTE – November 6, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I hope that you and your child/ren are looking forward to conferences on Thursday. We would like students in Grades 3-5 to attend the conference and students in Grades 6-8 to lead the conference. The 6th-8th grade students have had the opportunity to think about what they would like to say and how to share what has been happening. Students in 3rd-5th grades will also be important participants in the conferences as we are encouraging them to take ownership of their own learning. I trust that this will be a positive experience for everyone.
If conferences are here, snow won’t be far away! It’s time to remind ourselves of severe weather procedures. In the event that school is closed, we will make the determination by 6:00 am. There are three ways to be informed:
1. Go to Emergencyclosings.com and look for Highland Christian. The name will only appear if school has been cancelled.
2. You will receive an automated e-mail notification. This e-mail is based on the information you have provided in OnCampus. If you receive notification of Late Starts, you are in the system correctly. If you don’t, please check your contact information (email, cell phone, and home phone) in OnCampus by Wednesday of next week.
3. You can also check the school’s website.
1. Parent/Teacher Conferences are this Thursday, Nov. 9. Schedules for the conferences were sent home with K-5 students last week. If you cannot make your scheduled time, please contact your child’s teacher. If you only have a junior high child, you may go to their classrooms any time on Nov. 9 between 1:00-4:30 or 5:30-8:30 p.m. Students in grades 3-8 should attend the conference with their parents.
2. Important Reminder: School will dismiss this Thursday at 12:00 and there is no school on Friday. Please note – there is no aftercare this Thursday.
3. Picture Retake Day is scheduled for this Wednesday, Nov. 8. If your children need retakes, please send the original pictures back with them on that day. If your children were absent on the original picture day, please have them pick up an order form from the HCS office and send it to school with them on Nov. 8.
4. Lost & Found: A lost & found table will be set up in the hall by the teachers’ lounge during conferences. Please check it out – you just might find some of your child’s items there!
5. Homemade vanilla ($2.00 for an 8oz. bottle) is for sale in the HCS office for all of your holiday baking.
6. Tomorrow, Nov. 7 is HCS Preview Day from 9:00-11:00 a.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School. A second event will be held on FEBRUARY 2 (1:30-3:00pm).
7. The Thanksgiving season gives us the opportunity to show our thankfulness to God by sharing with others in need. For Thanksgiving this year, we will be collecting food and toiletries for Roseland Christian Ministries in Roseland, IL. These gifts will be presented at our Thanksgiving chapel on Wed., Nov. 22. A list of needed items is on the Thanksgiving letter that is being sent home today. All donations will be collected in the students’ classrooms. We will begin collecting items this week.
8. HCS is looking for substitute teachers for this school year. If you have a teaching degree and are interested in subbing, please contact the school office.
1. Congratulations to seventh grader, Jaedyn Long, on the publication of her book Love, Rainbow. Jaedyn spent one year writing, revising, and editing and is now a published author on Amazon.
1. Next Thursday, Nov. 16 is sort night at etc for 4th grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 8 – 6th boys, 7th girls, 7th boys vs. Oak Lawn – HOME – 4:00, 5:00, 6:00
Monday, Nov. 13 – 6th & 7th boys vs. Calvary Academy – AWAY – 4:00, 5:00
1. Are you an online scrip participant yet? Great Lakes Scrip Co. is having their Thank-Scrip-ing Day November 21st. They will offer extra bonus rebates on many of their retailers. Contact The TRIP office to get more information on online ordering for gift cards. Call 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or email, email@example.com .
2. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment on Thursday, Nov. 9th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 11/6): Cabela’s – 13%; Potbelly’s – 9%; Restaurant.com – 64%; Hallmark – 5%.
4. Team B (Kathi Fulton, Suazanne Van Ek, Lisa Long, Amy Jellema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Nov. 7th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Nov. 14; Team D – Nov. 21; Team A – Nov. 28; Team A – Dec. 5
1. Illiana Christian High School will hold its 3rd annual silent and live auctions on November 18. The silent auction will begin at 5:00 p.m. and the live auction will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the lower gym. We will have great food, great fellowship and lots of great items to bid on. The proceeds of the auction will go to the athletic department. STEM program, and Christian Aid Fund. If you have any questions or would like to donate to the auction, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. By donating to the auction, your business will receive advertising in the winter sports book.
2. PREVIEW ILLIANA (OPEN HOUSE FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND THEIR PARENTS): Discover what Illiana Christian High School has to offer at Preview Illiana on November 30 at 7:00 p.m. Parents and students interested in learning more about Illiana are welcome. Meet with faculty and administration, tour the campus, observe live teaching, and have all of your questions answered about Illiana. No pre-registration necessary. Call Marie Limback at 708-474-0515 ext. 49 with any questions.