PARENT NOTE – October 30, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
During our announcement time this week, I have been sharing with students some quotes from Martin Luther in recognition of the fact that this week marks the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation. Luther had interest in many areas of life – including education. He said this:
Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.
Intelligence plus character – and the important thing for us all to remember, is that both of these can grow. For too long, schools were in the business of “sorting and selecting”, because they thought intelligence was fixed – you had it or you didn’t. We now know differently – intelligence grows through effort and encouragement. I hope that the conferences next week will be opportunities for us to encourage all of our students to keep learning.
1. Important Reminder: This Wednesday, Nov. 1 is a late start. School will begin at 10:00 on that day.
2. Everyone is invited to the All-School Gifts Assembly this Thursday, Nov. 2 beginning at 8:40 a.m.
3. Picture Retake Day is scheduled for next Wednesday, Nov. 8. If your children need retakes, please send the original pictures back with them on that day. If your children were absent on the original picture day, please have them pick up an order form from the HCS office and send it to school with them on Nov. 8.
4. Parent/Teacher Conferences are next Thursday, Nov. 9. Schedules for the conferences are being sent home with K-5 students today. If you cannot make your scheduled time, please contact your child’s teacher.
5. Next Tuesday, Nov. 7 is HCS Preview Day from 9:00-11:00 a.m. If you know of any family who is interested in learning more about HCS, please extend an invitation to them. During this event, they will see classrooms in action, tour our campus and learn more about the exciting journey that awaits their child at Highland Christian School. A second event will be held on FEBRUARY 2 (1:30-3:00pm).
Wednesday, Nov. 1 – 6th boys vs. Crown Point – HOME – 4:00
7th girls & boys vs. Crown Point – HOME – 5:00 & 6:00
1. Effective Immediately: Red Lobster gift cards are no longer attached with the Olive Garden gift cards. You may order Red Lobster and Olive Garden (Darden Restaurants) gift cards separately.
2. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment on Thursday, Nov. 2nd by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/30): Hallmark – 5%; Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; JCPenney – 5%.
4. Team A (Julie Sitter, Cheryl Filler, Lupe Morales, Tori Smits) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 31st. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
5. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team B – Nov. 7; Team C – Nov. 14; Team D – Nov. 21; Team A – Nov. 28
1. Tryouts will be held in the next 4-6 weeks for a 7th grade boys’ Illiana Elite AAU team. If your boy is interested in trying out for a team that will be playing basketball at a competitive level once the school season is over, please contact Darren Van Essen at email@example.com by November 1.
2. Illiana Christian High School will hold its 3rd annual silent and live auctions on November 18. The silent auction will begin at 5:00 p.m. and the live auction will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the lower gym. We will have great food, great fellowship and lots of great items to bid on. The proceeds of the auction will go to the athletic department. STEM program, and Christian Aid Fund. If you have any questions or would like to donate to the auction, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. By donating to the auction, your business will receive advertising in the winter sports book.