PARENT NOTE – October 23, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
I hope that you enjoyed some extra time with your children last week. Most of the teachers were at the Christian Educators Association Conference in Holland, Michigan. Some teachers stayed behind to work on different initiatives here at school. Mrs. Reynhout and Mrs. Wagenaar are our Lead Teachers for Project Lead the Way. Last year we began this program in Junior High and this year it has been expanded to K-5. While adding this program involves many details and much hard work, deciding to add the program was easy. Why? Because our vision says that we want all HCS students to be academically equipped – and for our students and the world which they will be impacting, that means STEM education. The ‘E’ in STEM stands for engineering and students will begin to understand how engineers look at problems and work collaboratively to find solutions. Your child’s classroom teacher will let you know when their STEM module will take place. In Junior High, we have moved on to the next level and Junior High will be beginning automation and robotics. Hopefully you’ll hear more about this learning when you ask “What did you learn in school today?”
1. Congratulations to the students who sold enough coupon cards to get a ticket to attend the Bulls event this Saturday! We hope many memories are made and that it is a blast for all! Thanks for going the extra mile to support HCS!
2. Thanks to the students who went the extra mile and sold enough coupon cards to earn an hour in the video truck. The truck will be in the parking lot this Friday, Oct. 27. Students will need to bring the permission slip in if they have not already done so. Times are 3:15- 4:15 and 4:25-5:25. Have fun!
1. This Thursday, Oct. 26 is sort night at etc for 5th grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 26 – 6th boys basketball vs. Calvin – AWAY – 4:00
7th girls & boys basketball vs. Calvin – AWAY – 5:00 & 6:00
1. This is the last week to place TRIP orders for 1st quarter tuition credit. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment on Thursday, Oct. 26th by 10 a.m.
2. Effective Immediately: Red Lobster gift cards are no longer attached with the Olive Garden gift cards. You may order Red Lobster and Olive Garden (Darden Restaurants) gift cards separately.
3. HELP! VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We are looking for volunteers to help with putting together TRIP orders once a month and volunteers are needed to help with a new gift card store we are starting in November. If you are able to donate an hour or two of your time once a month contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at firstname.lastname@example.org .
4. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/23): Bed, Bath & Beyond – 7%; JCPenney – 5%; Jewel – 5%; Express – 11%.
5. Team D (Shelly Witham, Tracy Bandstra, Amy Yonkman) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 24th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team A – Oct. 31; Team B – Nov. 7; Team C – Nov. 14; Team D – Nov. 21
1. The Cadet Club at New Life CRC (the church next door to school) is hosting a pancake breakfast this Saturday, Oct. 28th from 7am-10am. Won’t you stop on by for a delicious breakfast of pancakes (gluten free available), sausage, scrambled eggs, and fruit? Donations are gladly accepted at the door to help support our Cadet club. If you have a boy in the age range of 2nd -8th grades, they are welcome to join our club! We work on projects, build derby cars, go on campouts, and have a great time together learning about Jesus! For more information, please contact Jamie Kostelyk at (219) 545-9788 or email@example.com”
2. Tryouts will be held in the next 4-6 weeks for a 7th grade boys’ Illiana Elite AAU team. If your boy is interested in trying out for a team that will be playing basketball at a competitive level once the school season is over, please contact Darren Van Essen at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1.
3. Illiana Christian High School will hold its 3rd annual silent and live auctions on November 18. The silent auction will begin at 5:00 p.m. and the live auction will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the lower gym. We will have great food, great fellowship and lots of great items to bid on. The proceeds of the auction will go to the athletic department. STEM program, and Christian Aid Fund. If you have any questions or would like to donate to the auction, please email email@example.com. By donating to the auction, your business will receive advertising in the winter sports book.
4. New Life CRC (next door to Highland Christian) would like to invite you to our 7th annual Trunk Or Treat on Tuesday, October 31st from 5pm-7pm. Stop by and join us for a fun time of fellowship, goodies, and a lot of candy!