PARENT NOTE – October 9, 2017
“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.”
FROM THE PRINCIPAL’S DESK
We had a great day on Friday with all of the Grandparents who came. Pastor Tim Huizenga of Faith Church challenged everyone to go the extra mile for their grandchildren – and it was obvious that Grandparents were doing that as I witnessed their interactions at school. I think Grandparents were pleased to see the way technology is enhancing education here at HCS. Be sure to ask your children for their perspective. We are rolling out a program called IXL which children can access from home to further enhance their learning.
Don’t forget that teachers will be gone at Convention on October 19 and 20 so there will be no school those days.
1. Parent Performance of the K-5 Grandparents’ Day program is this evening, Oct. 9 beginning at 7:00 p.m. All HCS families are invited! Students should be in their classrooms by 6:45 p.m. Please note – this is a required performance for all K-5 students.
2. Everyone is invited to the all-school chapel this Thursday, Oct. 12 at 8:40 a.m. led by the 5th grade.
3. Parent/Teacher Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 9 from 2:00-4:30 and again from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Specific times are being scheduled for grades K-5. The Parent Teacher Conference Sign-Up Form is being sent home with all K-5 students today. Please fill out this form to let us know if you need a time slot before the supper break or after the supper break. If we do not receive a form back from you, we will assume any time is okay. If you only have a junior high student, you do not have to fill out this form. You may go to their classrooms any time on Nov. 9 between 2:00-4:30 or 5:30-8:30 p.m. If you cannot make a Thursday conference, please contact your child’s teacher to schedule one on a different day. Please return this form to the office by this Friday, Oct. 13.
4. Please continue to save pop tabs in memory of Elena Poortenga, daughter of former HCS student Jeff and Krystal Poortenga. Last year, with the support of the community, HCS was able to collect enough pop tabs for Jeff and Krystal to be able to put Elena’s name on a leaf on the tree at the Ronald McDonald House where they stayed during Elena’s hospitalizations. They are now working on collecting enough tabs to put her name on a leaf at another Ronald McDonald House. Pop tabs may be turned into your child’s classroom all year long.
5. Box Tops: Keep those Box Tops for Education coming! The top three classrooms so far are Mrs. Musch’s 7th grade class, Mrs. Sylvester’s 3rd grade class, and Mrs. Groen’s 8th grade class. Way to go the extra mile, Huskies!
1. This Tuesday, Oct. 10 is sort night at etc for 6th grade from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 9 – Illiana Invitational Cross Country Meet at Erfert Park – girls at 4:30, boys at 5:00
Tuesday, Oct. 10 – 7th & 8th volleyball vs. Crown Point – HOME – 4:15 start
A & B soccer vs. Crown Point – HOME – 4:00 start
Thursday, Oct. 12 – First Round A Soccer Tournament at HCS vs. Lansing – 4:00 start
8th Volleyball Tournament at Crown Point – 4:30 start
Saturday, Oct. 14 – A Soccer Tournament Semi-Finals & Championship at Covenant Christian High – 9:00 start
1. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We are looking for volunteers to help with putting together TRIP orders once a month and volunteers are needed to help with a new gift card store we are starting in November. If you can donate approximately two hours of your time a month to help the TRIP program contact Ann Lynch at 219-838-0356, ext. 199 or at email@example.com .
2. TRIP orders (paper and online) are due with payment this Thursday Oct. 12th by 10 a.m.
3. Current Bonus Rebates (week of 10/9): Bath & Body Works – 17%; TGI Fridays – 9%; Cabela’s – 13%; Domino’s – 10%; L.L. Bean – 16%.
4. Next week’s Bonus Rebates (week of 10/16): Jewel – 5% and Express – 11%.
5. Team B (Kathi Fulton, Lisa Long, Amy Jellema) will be putting the TRIP orders together on Tues., Oct. 10th. Orders will be ready for pick up in the school office on Tues. at 2:45 p.m.
6. TRIP Teams for Stuffing Orders: Team C – Oct. 17; Team D Oct. 24; Team A – Oct. 31; Team B – Nov. 7
1. Calling all volleyball fans! Illiana Christian High School is sponsoring a Junior High Night at its last regular season JV and Varsity girls’ volleyball matches on Monday, October 16, 2017. Starting at 4 p.m., the first 50 7th and 8th grade students will receive a free T-shirt at the gate. Compete to win Illiana Spirit Wear in the serving competition between matches too!